An undrilled 125.

mapleredta

I want to add a sump to my new (used) tank. its an older tank so its not RR ready but i decided that id rather have a sump. I really dont want to go with one of those cheap external overflows. Could any of yall help me with some advice and links to the items?

B

bonita69

If you don't want a external overflow then your going to need to get your tank drilled on the side. You will have to contact the maker of the tank to see if it tempered glass however.
You can get some real nice external overflows for your tank. I did and works wonderful and not a eye sore at all.
It is the only thing that hangs on my tank now that I have a sump all the other stuff is down there.
These are good by Lifereef

scopus tang

If drilling is an option, I definitely recommend it! In the long run, you're going to be way happier with the result. A buddy (Dennis 210) and I are currently in the process of having a 125 drilled and installing a 55 gallon sump for another friend. Much, much better than the overflows IMO. If you PM Dennis210, he can give you ideas and directions on how to do this. Hope that helps.

prime311

I actually think external overflows detract less from the tank and also don't take away from the space inside. The ones with side overflows can get especially nasty in the corners. Having 1 or 2 holes for the return would definitely look nicer.

mapleredta

im kind of "dumb" when it comes to this type of stuff. IF i do a external overflow, where does the return line come from? Could yall recommend me a certain size sump (of course the stand size is going to be a factor in the size im able to have.) and what return pump would you suggest? I REALLY appreciate everybodys help.

prime311

You're return should be lower rated then the overflow. So if you have a 1000 GPH overflow then you would be good with a 750 or so return. I'm doing a 125 soon myself and am looking at a 40 gallon 3-chamber custom built sump/refugium(my LFS makes them), though I could probably get away with a 30 and I'll probably be getting a CPR CS-100 overflow with the vacuum pump that helps prevent flooding due to a power failure. Essentially, the vacuum pump runs continuously removing air to make sure the siphon isn't broken on your overflow. I'm still playing around with ideas for the return as I'd like to design it in such a way to go into the tank directly through drilled holes and also contribute as much as possible to the internal water flow of the display tank.

mapleredta

Yeah that vacuum pump would have to be a MUST because of the bad strorms we get during the spring and summer months here. The electric is constently going out.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2514556
You're return should be lower rated then the overflow. So if you have a 1000 GPH overflow then you would be good with a 750 or so return. I'm doing a 125 soon myself and am looking at a 40 gallon 3-chamber custom built sump/refugium(my LFS makes them), though I could probably get away with a 30 and I'll probably be getting a CPR CS-100 overflow with the vacuum pump that helps prevent flooding due to a power failure. Essentially, the vacuum pump runs continuously removing air to make sure the siphon isn't broken on your overflow. I'm still playing around with ideas for the return as I'd like to design it in such a way to go into the tank directly through drilled holes and also contribute as much as possible to the internal water flow of the display tank.
Prime, are you sure on this? I don't use overflows, so I don't know for sure, just asking, but I've always heard the return should be rated higher, because it won't truly pump what its rated at. I would seem to me that with this system your going to flood your sump out? Just a question.

prime311

With a larger return then overflow you run the risk of overflowing your, um, overflow. With a smaller return then overflow then your sump won't hold any more water then it would during a power outage(which is an estimated 0 GPH returned from the sump :) ), which should be low enough to not flood anyway. Suffice to say, you're tank can't put any more water into the overflow then is being returned to it from the sump. This is how its been explained to me by several reliable sources anyway :p
Oh ya, since you're pumping up, the return won't be pumping what its rated for, this is true. You're main concern is probably to make sure your displacing at least 10x tank capacity every hour if doing a reef while not pumping so much as to flood your display and/or to minimize the amount displacement in the event of a power outage. If your pump is too powerful I believe you can also throttle it with a valve on the return.
I should asterisk this though as its all secondhand knowledge I've picked up while I've been planning out my own 125 and one of the real experts here can probably confirm/deny it. :D Also, if you're interested I have 6 links with a lot of good information that I saved while researching so just PM me and I'll send them to you.