And all before coffee

jrod4u

Picture this: You receive a package late afternoon on a cloudy, cold, wintery day. Excited, you tear open the package to receive new food, cyclopeeze, and also a new powerhead, totaling 3 in your tank. You assemble the powerhead together, then introducing to your inhabitants. Plug it in and VOILA it works. Now just making sure the head is pointing in right direction you want. Perfect, just where I want it. Fast forward to few hours. Just laying your head down on the pillow, slowly drifting off to dreamland. On your way there, you hear a faint thud, and just think, well we also have a 180lb newfoundland and they tend to make little thuds now and then, when sleeping or pretty much whatever they do, hehehe. Anyway, thinking nothing of it, and you sleep. Next morning, wake up, looks like we will have sunshine today. Enroute to coffee maker, take a quick glimpse of the tank walking by. Nice to see everybody waking up in the morning. Take a second glance and all you see is what appears to be snow covered mountains and valleys. You then realize possibly the small thud you heard last night was the sound of the newly installed powerhead, upon falling and landing, has created a underwater hurricane. You rush to turn the power off to the powerhead, and grab a better glance. Well you can see the eggcrate and some bottom glass. Great. So you begin the process of cleanup, involving a sea squirt to remove the sand from the rock, and starting to coverup the crater that had been formed. After that, you make sure your corals, inverts, and fish are still around and did not jump ship. All is well to your surprise. If there was no sump, you fear this could have been much, much worse than it was. Glancing at the tank with everyone sound asleep, you breath a sigh of relief that a crisis although not really averted, but dealt with calmly and rationally. The new fan re-installed, is well anchored and working properly. Tank will be monitored the next few days. It is really surprising how much this hobby teaches you with dealing with situations calmly and sometimes rational. LOL

darkfish

I have had this problem before. If I ever build a new system, I will never use suction cup power heads again. All magnetic. Thanks for the read.

This is a good post for when people get new powerheads.....
Esp. if you have sand make sure and watch for a long time if it is getting moved alot. I got a new powerhead and it cleaned the sand from one spot and caused a rock to move and almost cause a serious avalanche. I have since learned to put eggcrate on the bottom and the LR first then sand!

flower

Originally Posted by Darkfish
http:///forum/post/3214011
I have had this problem before. If I ever build a new system, I will never use suction cup power heads again. All magnetic. Thanks for the read.

+1
When I found Koralia power heads, I think I was the happiest person in the hobby. Before that I was living your story on a daily basis.

jackri

Seems all the "quality" power heads use magnets.
On the flip side my Koralias have a problem of not unsuctioning after I take the magnet off. If I try and slide them around and break the suction I run the risk of damaging corals. Just can't win soemtimes

novahobbies

Koralias have a little itty bitty rubber tab extending from one side of the rubber cup surrounding the magnet. Get your finger under this tab and lift gently...it'll breal the seal right away. It may be hard to find the rubber tab, but it's there.

jrod4u

Update: Everything seems fine and doing well, everything is eating and seems okey dokey. The fan is still in position, and actually, I have magnets for most but just the new fan has suction due to a wall on one side of glass that I really did not want to put a hole in just for one magnet. But these suction cups actually are pretty strong and so far so good. woo hoo And thanks to everyone who has read or currently is reading.