And then the reef fell into darkness....

kelly

Sammy,
Sorry to hear about the ballast, how long did you have it? I am glad that there was not at fire.
Best wishes

sammystingray

It's where the wiring harness plugs into the ballast.......where the trouble was found, and pretty much the most expensive thing that could have went wrong with my lights......the ballast fried out.:(

One of my IceCap 660's went out a few weeks ago as well. Only had it for a year or so. IceCap fixed it and returned it w/o charge. The owner of the LFS let me borrow his until mine was repaired. I'm told URI makes a better ballast than IceCap. Not sure if that is so, but will investigate it further when I add my next tank.

T

thomas712

Sammy - sorry to hear, any contributing factors as to why it fried? like location, faulty parts, some type of exposer to salt or other elements.
I can't understand why people actually place some of the ballasts under the canopy with the lights. Mine is about 2 feet from the tank and hood.
Thomas
Had a chance yet to look for that worm again?

the claw

Sorry Sammy. Thats about what mine looked like after a misplaced drop of water landed right there. First there was smoke, then a foul smell, then a bunch of swear words. I fessed up to Ice Cap with what happened. They charged me sixty bucks(thats including shipping) to replace that connection and I was good to go again. I found the company very customer freindly. The moral of the story .....saltwater and electricity don't mix!

quack

send it bak to em and tell em it 'wore out'! & how much u luv em!!!
I bet they will replace it! They did fer me

krishj39

Yes, contact IceCap and tell them what happened. They will work out a deal for you. They call this the "Wet Club." I had water splash on mine and I had to replace the ballast. I believe they charged me $106, with shipping costs for my 430 ballast. You can contact them through that other popular message board, --.

sammystingray

A brand new 660 costs 140 bucks at my local fish store......we called him yesterday.
I am deciding whether or not this is a sign that it's time for halides. I'll know by Friday. He had some used 400 watt halide ballasts for 40 bucks each, but I don't know if he still has them.