And you thought that electric car you paid so much for would save you money.

reefraff

A lot of states are looking at that now. Another reason we went with the Eco Boost Ford instead of a Plug in. Even with the green welfare credits the higher price of the plug in isn't worth it in the long run when the VMT taxes start kicking in.

darthtang aw

A lot of states are looking at that now. Another reason we went with the Eco Boost Ford instead of a Plug in. Even with the green welfare credits the higher price of the plug in isn't worth it in the long run when the VMT taxes start kicking in. 
some are doing a rebate for the gas ta if you sign up for the mileage tax instead. Those of us that drive larger "gas guzzlers" will actually come out ahead. doing the math, I would save about 40 cents per gallon with my hummer...lol.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397679/and-you-thought-that-electric-car-you-paid-so-much-for-would-save-you-money#post_3545556
some are doing a rebate for the gas ta if you sign up for the mileage tax instead. Those of us that drive larger "gas guzzlers" will actually come out ahead. doing the math, I would save about 40 cents per gallon with my hummer...lol.
Yeah, I bought my truck last july and it has 944 miles on it already LOL! I can run alcohol in it if I want but it's not enough cheaper than gas right now to make it viable, although it does bump up the power by 20 ponies or so.

darthtang aw

Yeah, I bought my truck last july and it has 944 miles on it already LOL!  I can run alcohol in it if I want but it's not enough cheaper than gas right now to make it viable, although it does bump up the power by 20 ponies or so. 
What did the alcohol conversion run you?

aggiealum

What kind of backassward logic is this? So I buy a fuel efficient vehicle that I essentially can drive with little or no gas (which continues to rise in price), and idiotic states like this screw me by having me pay per mile? UFB. Which oil industry moron came up with this?

darthtang aw

What kind of backassward logic is this?  So I buy a fuel efficient vehicle that I essentially can drive with little or no gas (which continues to rise in price), and idiotic states like this screw me by having me pay per mile?  UFB.  Which oil industry moron came up with this?
So far each bill in various states have been proposed by democrats to my knowledge. Apparently the high fuel efficient cars are cutting into the revenue certain states receive from their gas tax.

2quills

They are skating by on some of the road repair taxes that come from the purchase of gas. Not that those monies ever really go towards fixing the roads anyways but I see no reason to let the greenie wennies cheat the system over it.
I may not have a problem with a milleage tax if it was done through annual inspection and payed at the time of registration renewal.

2quills

More I think about it a mileage tax makes more sense if vehicles were broken down in class and taxed accordingly to size and weight.

darthtang aw

More I think about it a mileage tax makes more sense if vehicles were broken down in class and taxed accordingly to size and weight. You just increased shipping costs for the nation considerably.

2quills

You just increased shipping costs for the nation considerably.
Perhaps, though I'm not sure by how much. Highway side stations are taxed a higher rate on diesel as it is.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397679/and-you-thought-that-electric-car-you-paid-so-much-for-would-save-you-money#post_3545622
You just increased shipping costs for the nation considerably.
But those costs are justifiable. Go do some research about the conditions of the roads in Southwest Texas before and after the Eagle Ford Shale Project began. Many of the small towns that surround that area are facing major issues with their roads being torn up due to these heavy machinery and 18-wheelers driving down their county roads that weren't designed to have that much heavy traffic put on them. One county has proposed tearing up the asphalt and replacing it with gravel roads on all their main County Highways because they simply can't afford the costs of repairing the destroyed asphalt roads the heavy trucks have caused in just a couple of years.