anemone and exlipse 3 hood lighting

elguapo

I have an standard Eclipse 3 hood with the usual 24inch fluorescent lighting. I was wondering if that could support a Sabae Anemone. I have a pair of Gold Stripe Maroons I would like to give a home. Also how long do most anemones survive? Some people seem to think they die off fairly quick. Also what kind of tank mates would you advise? Just looking for a some thoughts.....

viper_930

Definitely not enough lighting. You should look into getting metal halides, especially since sebae are sand-dwelling anemones.
Unfortunately the ones that die are almost always because of bad water quality or insufficient lighting. Theoretically, anemones never die of old age because they can regenerate any part of their body.

zanoshanox

Not a chance. Sebeas even require more light that many other anemones. You couldnt keep any species of anemone successfuly long term under that lighting.

viper_930

Just pointing out a connection here..
Some people seem to think they die off fairly quick.

I've talked to a few people now and they don't see it as a problem.
Just something to think about.
I considered myself successful in keeping my RBTA after the one year mark, and that was with metal halide lights. Under normal outputs I would bet any hosting species of anemone (sebaes included) won't last more than a month or two tops. That's very heartbreaking to me, considering they can potentially live forever in an ideal environment.

S

sand125

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Just pointing out a connection here..
Just something to think about.
I considered myself successful in keeping my RBTA after the one year mark, and that was with metal halide lights. Under normal outputs I would bet any hosting species of anemone (s included) won't last more than a month or two tops. That's very heartbreaking to me, considering they can potentially live forever in an ideal environment.

ViPeR_930 is right because i had a sebae and it die..... its a must MH lighting .... some times the lfs will tell you any thing to get you to buy somthing
i have a Carpet anemone

elguapo

ok i have to confess guys. i wasnt asking because i know nothing about this subject. i bought a sabae on a whim for my maroons over 18 months ago. the damn thing is still going strong and under nothing but stock eclipse 3 lighting. i have to say that it seems like a stable system to me. no death or issues for 18 months. not many people can say that. can you?

viper_930

Well I congratulate you on your current success, I'm suprised you were able to keep it this long. I too would like to see a pic.

elguapo

I can't take a new pic right now because I lost my digital camera for a few months and threw the charger cord away.....and then found the camera. Just about the dumbest thing I've ever done. When I first bought the anemone it was stark white and looking very bleached. I never thought it was regain the algae and make it more than a month or so. I only bought it because it was $9.99 at the LFS. It has been 18 months and now it brown and growing. I have been pushing my luck with the lighting I know and I'm looking for a retro kit for a hood I'm building. I have a 30 gallon tank any thoughts on lighting? I'm thinking a MH/T5 combo but still not sure on the wattage.

macjmc

I would just go with a 250 watt MH then you wouldnt have to worry about anything and could get pretty much whatever you wanted! IMO

elguapo

bump. and does anyone know the recomended watts per gallon for keeping anemones and sps? also is wattage for clams really that much more?

viper_930

A single 150 watt DE halide would be good maybe with 2x24 watt T-5 lights if you want. With that you can keep anemones, SPS, and clams.
Depends on what clam species you're asking about. Gigas, squamosas, and derasas can do well under high PC/VHO lights, but IMO maximas and croceas would need stronger lights like as an acro.