Anemone Ate Cleaner Shrimp

dgr110599

Was feeding my fish today and noticed my cleaner shrimp nowhere to be found. Normally he comes out at feeding time and catches scraps that reach him on top of the rock. Today I he didn't come out. My Bubble tip Anemone was also deflating as if it was flushing itself out. Well, much to my surprise, I found the cleaner shrimp shell at the base of the anemone. Looks like the anemone was expelling the shell. Very sad. Is it normal for bubble tips to eat a perfectly healthy cleaner shrimp? I really liked this shrimp and would like to get another especially since I also have a hippo tang who seems to like his periodic cleanings. Not sure I should if they will be eaten. Maybe if I feed the bubble tip more often this won't happen? I feed it 2-3times a week chopped shrimp. It also gets chunks of frozen food the hosting clownfish feeds it. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

dgr110599

I wish that was the case. There is definitely no chance it was the molted shell. The bubble tip has spit out the shell in a couple pieces. One piece still had part of the undigested shrimp in it. Not good. I would like another shrimp maybe I will take a chance. Not sure.

dingus890

Very sorry to hear that.
When I had a BTA my cleaner would always go near it and climb on it to steal it's food, but he always got away before the anemone had a chance to eat him I guess.

nymxracer

My bta doesnt bother my cleaner shrimp, not sure if having a porcelan crab hosting him helps any . Now my arrow crab is another story , just look at my avatar.