anemone closed

theishkid

My BTA has closed up all of a sudden. It's been closed for 2 and a half days now. It's kind of starting to worry me. I think the new shrimp I got is bugging him... But wouldn't he move if he was being pissed off by the shrimp? What should I do?

rbaby

That happened to me once with my anemone and when I called my local fish store (who I trust completely), they said that they do that to release their wastes, it's their way to clean their systems. But if they've been closed for a couple days now, it's probably sick they said...I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but figured I'd let you know what I found out.

T

thomas712

How long have you had your anemone?
Please have your water tested and give results.
Did it or does it look something like this?

theishkid

see mine has never closed up this long either. My lighting is good, it's been under the same light and has grown in the past year. But ever since I added this new shrimp it's almost like the shrimp hinds underneath the anemone. Ever since I added the shrimp the anemone acts like it is pissed off and closed up. It was closing when the shrimp was next to it and then expanding when he was gone. But now it just won't open back up even when the shrimp isn't there.
Tonight with my turkey baster I shot some phytoplankton directly at it and it popped a few tenticles out then went back in.
If it was pissed off at the shrimp wouldn't it just move?
Plus I tested all of my water and came up with perfect results so I'm pretty sure this shrimp pissed it off. I'm coming up with 0's on amonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, and i'm getting 8.4 on the ph. Water temp is 76.8 degrees.

T

thomas712

Forget the phyto, feed it mysis shrimp or krill or silversides. But you may want to feed your shrimp first or he'll come and steal food from the anemone.
Thomas

theishkid

gave it mysis yesterday. he hung on to it for a while but I'm not sure if he sucked it in cause I had to leave.