Anemone dead, dieing?

team2jnd

I have had a rose tip bubble anemone for about a month. I also have a pink tip long tentacle anemone, a red carnation anemone and another bubble tip. All of them are fine except for the rose tip bubble. Recently he has shrunk significantly and keeps releasing his footing from wherever he had been staying. I can not tell if he is dead or dieing because every once in a while he will do this and open back up later. This time however he has been doing this for about 2 days and i am beginning to become worried with his behavior. He is currently face down and barely moving. I know that anemones shrink at night or when a change occurs in the water conditions but is it common for them to lose footing and just let the current take them where it pleases? Also, it is the only anemone to be effected by the changes. (I did a large water change, about 45%) The ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels are all at 0 the water temp is 79-80 and the PH is 8.2. Thank you.

lefty

What sort of lighting do you have? Is it possible that you have too much water movement in your tank? A 45% water change would indeed stress something as sensitive as an anemone. I would try and avoid major changes from now on. :)
-lefty

T

thomas712

First of all having 4 different anemones in a 55 gallon tank is not recommended, but its your tank.
Sounds like he is stressed about something, could be something chemical as in the other anemones or corals, could be your water paramiters. Id double check those at the LFS. Give it a couple of days after that water change and then test again.
In general RBTA's seem to be more delicate than other BTA's. There are a couple of experienced posters here that have tried them and still failed.
Also try running fresh carbon.
What substrate do you have?
Thomas

corey21

I have the same anemone. I did not have the right lighting for a while and he would not stop movig. I got my other lightig fixture and now have 5.8 watts per gallon and he is staying where he is and I got a clown to host in him. The rose bubble tip is unusual also and are known for moving around and can even cause their own deaths by staying under a rock. I wouldn't worry about the water change because when you do that they will live off the water in them and slowly adapt, so ive been told that is why you dont have to aclimate anemones. I would say its your light or he just wants to move. Oh and your supposed to feed them daily especially if they dont have a host. I feed mine krill or fish heads still even though now he has a host. Hope this helps.:D

22caddy

Oh and your supposed to feed them daily especially if they dont have a host.
Keep doing this and you will stress it and could kill it. Do not overfeed by doing it every day. 2-3 times a week is fine. I feed mine if lucky once a week, more like once every two weeks.
I wouldn't worry about the water change because when you do that they will live off the water in them and slowly adapt
Anemones need real stable water. Large water changes could cause swings in parameters that could cause problems, even though it is usually for the best.
I agree with Thomas. He is deifinately stressed. How close is the RBTA to any other anemone? Do you have a hosting clown? Does he go from anemone to anemone?