anemone help

plively

New to saltwater, I have a white sabae anemone, sometimes its all shrivelled up and other times it looks normal, the centr also stick out 2 to 3 inches. was wondering if someone could tell me if it dead or alive?? :help:

ginarox

mine is doing the same thing, the other day he was out when the light was on , and he looked so beautifu, but my anemone is a long tentacle anemone, so yes i need help as well, andy advice out there please help,,,,,,ginarox

eejay3

Well, I have seen many times that the general rule of thumb is that they are not dead until they look like they are disintegrating or falling apart. I have thought a couple of times that mine was dead only to see it open full again the next day.

ct_vol

Are you feeding your anemone's??? Silversides would be a good thing... A lot of times if you don't have a clown to host, you have to help them along...

chunks

cream, or white? If its a clear to white color it is most likely bleached. Unless you have MH lights i dont think it will last long, sebae need large levels of light. I hope im not beating a dead horse with this, but you said you were new to SW. Also, anemones tend to shrivel in order to expell their excrement, in other words; its natural

plively

It is definately not melting or fall apart, just looked at it now and it looks pretty good. Feeding it, now you got me, my lfs never told me it had to be feed, what and how?

plively

its a white, no mh lights just flourescent...if I get a chance this W/E I'll post a pic
Thanks for all the thoughts

chunks

silversides, shrimp (the cocktail kind), shellfish, etc.
Just to give you a heads up, flourescent wont work with a sebae, just not intense enough. Depending on your tank, you should look into buying a MH setup if you want to keep this thing alive. Ive had a good amount of luck running bubble tips under heavy PC lighting, but MH is soooo much better. Sebae are relatively cheap, but unless you run the right amount of light you cant keep them alive.
My advice is to look into a metal halide in the near future, if your sebae is white it is most likely bleached which means the photosynthesizing zooanthellae have left due to stress or insufficient light. It doesnt have much of a chance if its bleached unless you get a mh setup.