Anemone hiding

dcaribewolf

I have what I believe to be a condy anemone. I have been feeding it brine and cyclops. He has his clownfish and everything appears to be fine. Now, he goes under the rocks, for days at a time, does not move around and it is only when I get him out and put him in the light that he begins to do well. Unfortunately when he hides out in the rocks, he shrinks and looks almost dead until I bring him out. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

dcaribewolf

I just think that the anemone is particular. He is doing well. He now gets filtered light underneath the rocks and appears to be happy with this. Evidently he did not wish to have the lights so bright.

perfectdark

Well light shock is not uncommon but in time they will get used to and readily accept most intense light sources. More information about your tank and set up is needed. Your clowns maybe what drove into seclusion, among other things. Tanks water chemistry with specific numbers, pH, Salinity, Alk, Trates, amonia, and temp. Also lighting what type and how many watts? Tank size and how old it is...

dcaribewolf

Dead anemone
Well folks,
I tried but to no avail. It seems that the anemone went for so long without food that it just shrivelled up. By this time, the clown had nipped off all of its tentacles. BUT I STILL HAD HOPE FOR THE POOR ANEMONE AND I CAME TO ITS RESCUE!
I transferred it to a tank where all parameters where within normal range, a so called hospital tank of sorts, no substrate, just some rock, well filtered with daily water changes. The anemone struggled for about one week and then just opened its mouth and just laid there. It would swell up every morning and would attach to rocks.
I basically fed it with an eye dropper - some cyclop eze and on occasion, some phytoplankton. but it began to change color, going from white to grey along the edges, it also began to lose pieces of itself and would not respond to touch. I finally, just placed in the trash rather than prolong its misery. I guess its time had come and it had been called to the Great Beyond.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by dcaribewolf
Dead anemone
Well folks,
I tried but to no avail. It seems that the anemone went for so long without food that it just shrivelled up. By this time, the clown had nipped off all of its tentacles. BUT I STILL HAD HOPE FOR THE POOR ANEMONE AND I CAME TO ITS RESCUE!
I transferred it to a tank where all parameters where within normal range, a so called hospital tank of sorts, no substrate, just some rock, well filtered with daily water changes. The anemone struggled for about one week and then just opened its mouth and just laid there. It would swell up every morning and would attach to rocks.
I basically fed it with an eye dropper - some cyclop eze and on occasion, some phytoplankton. but it began to change color, going from white to grey along the edges, it also began to lose pieces of itself and would not respond to touch. I finally, just placed in the trash rather than prolong its misery. I guess its time had come and it had been called to the Great Beyond.

Sorry for your loss, btw on a side note it would be recomended that you research and ask questions before you attempt another. I say this because of the statment you made of it going too long without food. This is not what killed your anemone. They can go very long periods of time without supplemental feeding. Light type and watts and water quality are far more detrumental (sp) to the animal and not knowing that information along with how it acclimated to your tank, I am assuming it was one or a combination of them that killed it.

reefmate75

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Sorry for your loss, btw on a side note it would be recommended that you research and ask questions before you attempt another. I say this because of the statement you made of it going too long without food. This is not what killed your anemone. They can go very long periods of time without supplemental feeding. Light type and watts and water quality are far more detrimental (sp) to the animal and not knowing that information along with how it acclimated to your tank, I am assuming it was one or a combination of them that killed it.
i believe this to be true, the guy i bought my anemone off was a RBTA and he refuses to feed anything...he never feed it in his tank, looked great, grew very slowly though and it never split, i put it in my tank and and i feed it 2xs a week and withen a month it had split, i feed both 2 times a week and they grew very fast, the larger of the 2 split again, and then the smaller split, i have 7RBTA now and i have sold a few to LFS for more then i paid for the frist one..i gave that guy one of the really small splits...it might have been 1" hahaha but he was happy to get one back for free its doing good but growing slow because he dosent feed it, you dont have to feed, they just do much better if you do IMO