Anemone ID Help Please

jumpfrog

I set up an isolation tank a while back. I had a lion that wouldn't eat so I wanted him by himself with live food to try to get him going again. Long story short, Leo died. Never would eat again.:(
Anyway, back to this post question. I have an anemone that is growing out of a piece of LR. It will shrink back into it's hole in the evening but is expanding larger all the time now. It does not have a stalk like aptasia and I haven't seen it grab food, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't.
Any ideas on what this animal is? This is a clear as I could get the pic. Still not doing real well with macro shots deeper within the tank.
TIA for any input.

sammystingray

Looks like aiptasia to me, but it blends in to the pic making it hard to see. Looks like a type that BangGuy has a nice example of.....see if you can find a pic of it he has posted, and then see if his is what you have as well. I had a green striped one for awhile, but have no pics. Not all aiptasia are solid tones of brown.

jumpfrog

Thanks for the input jackie and sammy. I had to try again and got a better pic this time. The top is aiptasia as I know it. A bigun' I have in my hawk tank. The bottom are new pics of this new guy. I guess a stalk could be deeper in the rock but the coloring is so different. And the tentacles seem different as well. All the aiptasia I've had seems to move some in the current. This new guys seem stiff.

sammystingray

There are different species of aiptasia......palida (sp?) , pulchella {sp?) etc.....I think you have the latter?? BangGuy will probably have more info.

bang guy

Difficult to tell 100% from the pic but it sure looks like Aiptasia sp. to me.
Sammy is right - Notice that Aiptasia sp. is a genus and not a species name. There can be variation between the distinct species.
Here's a purple one about to be eaten by a nudibranch. These purple ones only get to be about 1/2". I know it's Aiptasia because that's all Berghia
are able to eat:

On the other end of the scale is Monstro: