Anemone ID

shanev

I found a hitchhiker anemone last night and was wondering if is good or bad. It attached itseld to the side glass and has a small stalk and is a bright white. It only seems to have ~6-8 thick tentacles. The hole thing is still REALLY small (less than 1/4" tall).
Any idea on what this is? I can try to get a pic after I get home tonight.

buzz

That is really tough to identify that small. It doesn't even really look like an anemone from that pic. Any chance at all of zooming in a little?

rickster

If it is a condy, then cool...a welcome and free guest. From what I have read the most common hitch-hiker is the Aiptasia. This anemone is considered a pest and is difficult to get rid of (have actually read that people epoxy them completely into a hole in the live rock...geez). The problem is even a severely damaged frag can regenerate into a full anemone. There are alot of discussions on the boards discussing the Aiptasia and how to get rid of it. Fortunately I think most Aiptasia are brown so let's hope yours is a condy.

nm reef

Really tough to ID from your pic/description. The only anonome to be concerned about is the aiptasia...check this link for help ID'ing yours. If what you have is aiptasia then you really should take steps to remove/eliminate them ASAP. They can damage corals and can quickly grow to plague numbers. There are numerous ways to get rid of them. The best for me has always been a few peppermint shrimp...they'll munch 'em. Other folks use a paste of kalk and inject them.
NMREEF website
nmreef@cox.net

shanev

Its hard to say. It looks like it may have a hint of purple, but it so small its hard to tell. Ill try to get a better pic when it opens open a little more. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep an eye on it for now, I dont hqave anything else there as this is a brand new tank.

shanev

Buzz,
Nope sorry if I zoom anymore it goes out of focus. It is just really small. About the size of a eraser on the end of a pencil.