Anemone in reef?

shista

Hi everyone, its been a while since ive been on the boards. I currently restarted my whole tank to wipe out there terrible pest anemones that took over. Now I am caught in a dilemma. I have quarantined 2 bangaii cardinals and a true perc and put them in my DT. So far i only have a colony of zoas to get my corals started. My question is i always wanted a clownfish to host a coral but i never could. Would you guys recommend getting an anemone and letting it find its spot now that i don't have corals yet? Or is there some coral that a clownfish is likely to host? The idea of having an anemone in a reef scares me.
Thank you

ibew41

If you still have a 44g tank it will be hit or miss. I have one in a 120 g and it hasn't moved in yrs but there is always a chance

spanko

I had a RBTA in a 29 gallon biocube until it go too big and had to remove it. It stayed in one spot that I had actually designed for it to be. The BTA's tend to inhabit a small cave that they can retract into at night and then inflate and extend outwards during the day. This anemone I had stayed there the entire time I had it. I got rid of it a few months ago and now I can see a few small tentacles sticking our of the cave it was in. It either split or I accidentally fragged it when I removed it and left a pc. on the rock.

shista

hmmm.. I would rather not even bother getting one if there are corals that clownfish can host.. I hate the idea of having it move on precious corals in the future.

reefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shista http:///t/393572/anemone-in-reef#post_3501957
hmmm.. I would rather not even bother getting one if there are corals that clownfish can host.. I hate the idea of having it move on precious corals in the future.
That is a valid point, but anemones are built to host clownfish, whereas a coral- say a frogspawn (common host to clowns) may die eventually due to the constant pounding of the clowns on the tentacles and exoskeleton.