Anemone Lighting Question

mike22cha

Does an anemone need Metal Hallides to thrive? Could Nova Extreme T-5's work? My dad realy wants another anemone, and I learned from my mistakes on the last one. I didn't give frozen meaty foods and I don't think my PC's were sufficent.

jesshika

You don't have to have metal halide in order to keep an anemone. What are the watts and kelvin on the T5's? I think PC lights are fine if you have enough wattage. I have a coralife double fixture with 192 watts total and anemones do fine. The lights are also 10,000 k, I don't think the Kelvin should be less than that.

mike22cha

Ok I don't know what the watts are. I'm planning for a 40-60g tank, so I don't know. How many watts would I need for that size tank?

jesshika

My tank is a 40 shallow tank. Is your tank deep or shallow? I would say no less than 192 watts. You want at least 10,000 k too

matt b

well i just ordered Orbit 24-Hour Lighting System:4X65W for my 55gal so ill let u no how i like it

mike22cha

Ok not a lot of high watts for 36" long tanks, best I found for an affordable price is 156W. That's the T-5's. I don't like PC's and can't afford MH. I'll look at 48" lighting and see if I can find a 200w T-5.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Ok found some HO T-5's that had 218w. But they were like 200$.
That would be what I would get.. what type of anemone are you looking to get. Some requrie more light than others, even though on a whole they all require high lighting.

mike22cha

My dad wants another BTA, well I wanted a Carpet, but there are going to be small fish, so I figure BTA is the safest way to go.
I think I'll end up buying the Nova Extreme T-5 HO with Lunar lights 48" 216w.

perfectdark

My dad wants another BTA, well I wanted a Carpet, but there are going to be small fish, so I figure BTA is the safest way to go.
good call about the BTA and the lights.

dawman

I would also get individual reflectors for that light fixture .

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Dawman
I would also get individual reflectors for that light fixture .
I'm pretty sure they have reflectors. My Nova Extreme T-5's on my 20g have reflectors. I don't think they are individcual reflectors though.

dawman

I'm pretty sure they have reflectors. My Nova Extreme T-5's on my 20g have reflectors. I don't think they are individcual reflectors though.
Nova fixtures are not that good and don`t penetrate the water enough for anemones with a single reflector and need individual reflectors .

dawman

Here is a picture of Nova Extreme T-5 fixtures as it shows you they never have and still don`t use individual reflectors .

mike22cha

Nova fixtures are not that good and don`t penetrate the water enough for anemones with a single reflector and need individual reflectors .
Dang, so should I go PC? I'm clueless on what kind of model or type of lighting would be best for anemones, so if you have a suggestion under 200$ please feel free to share.

dawman

Dang, so should I go PC? I'm clueless on what kind of model or type of lighting would be best for anemones, so if you have a suggestion under 200$ please feel free to share.
I would get the T-5 and get individual reflectors to put in the fixture . 35" reflectors from Icecap are only $26 each from Drs .

mike22cha

I would get the T-5 and get individual reflectors to put in the fixture . 35" reflectors from Icecap are only $26 each from Drs .
Do you remove the plastic from the bottom of the light fixtures, take out the bulbs, and install them?
Thanks for all the help.

mike22cha

Is the 200w recommendation for just the 55g or all tanks? Is it a watt/gallon thing or just plain old you need this many watts. I'm looking at the T-5 HO and VHO. I like VHO better because it's cheaper, but I can't find a fixture for it on a magazine I've been looking at. I think I"m going to make my dad pay for them, because I'm just fine with a FOWLR