anemone look healthy?

jjjoey

i bought this anemone today for $29.99
it was a large its about 6 inches across
does it look ok?
it keeps moving around dunno if thats good

jeanheckle

Hey Joey your tank looks great. That anemone is awesome. They move until they find a spot they like, I would move the toadstool of that is where the anemone has settled.

jjjoey

now the anemone fell from the top rock into the sand
nows its under a rock covered in a shadow
will it move?

jerryatrick

Sting, Sting, Sting.... let the anemone find its home but just hope that it doesn't sting any of your coral while it moves.

jjjoey

its on a rock and was about to fall
i put a tiny rock behind it and the foot took hold of it and it seems to be staying
i hope it will stay here

jjjoey

the anemone got sucked into my fluval intake during the night
and its dead

it looks like a murder scene

jjjoey

i dont get it, it seemed completely healthy
and then boom over night it detaches and gets sucked up into the intake

reefnutpa

You'd be suprised what an anemone can recover from. Many hobbyists have had anemones sucked into powerheads and even be ripped in half from powerheads and they survive. Unless it's in lots of pieces, your anemone isn't dead - probably just retracted into a blob and pretty deflated and not happy. If you can, place the nem in a seperate container and see if it begins to open slightly so you can survey the damage. If the foot isn't torn, it has a good chance of recovering so don't toss it just yet.
Tom

jjjoey

should i clean out my filters?
im sure half of it got sucked up
should i clean everything out?
or should my skimmer take care of it

reefnutpa

If you believe the anemone was ripped apart and parts are in your Fluval, then I would clean it out. I would also put new carbon in the filter.
Is the anemone inflating at all - or is it really destroyed? Could you post a pic?
Tom

reefnutpa

Honestly, I wouldn't dispose of the anemone just yet. If possible, put it back in the tank in something safe - if you have something. I use those plastic "kritter keepers" with lids to submerge in tanks for emergencies. You could also use a 1/2 gal fish bowl with some sort of netting cut and placed around the opening secured with a rubber band.
If you have nothing, I would fill a container with tank water and take the nem out of the bag and put it in the container. The water in the bag is probably getting high in ammonia by now.
Get the nem in clean water (preferably safely back in the tank) and keep an eye on it. I honestly think it'll recover if not too badly damaged.
Tom

jjjoey

i went to put it in a container and the smell was unbearable and it was turning brown
so i flushed :(

reefnutpa

Definitely a goner if the smell was bad like that. Sorry to hear it didn't turn out well :( Don't let this experience stop you from trying again. We've all had anemones that just didn't acclimate well and moved all over the tank and got tangled in powerheads, filters, overflows, etc.
Some advice for your next time - make sure you put sponge prefilters on ALL powerheads and filter lift tubes temporarily until the anemone settles in and finds a suitable home. That way, even if they float around the tank they are less likely to be sucked in by a strong current. They will hit the sponge, but not be sucked into the filter or shredded by a powerhead impeller.
Tom