Anemone not doing so well

R

richardpryor

Won't bother you with the details, but my anemone doesn't look so well. Clown won't get near it.
PH skyrocketed today (8.8) and ammonia was 0.5 a couple of hours ago. Added about 4g of new water and it's still 0.5 (although honestly, the color doesn't match any of the colors on the chart, but it's definitely light green).
Here's a pic:

So, should I stay put and wait until tomorrow or get it out of there? Frankly I could care less about the anemone, but I've become fond of both my Yellow Tang and Percula Clown. Would love to have them once I upgrade to my 75g.
BTW, do I have a good looking piece of rock there? Not as red as some of the one's I've seen here, but has some coralline...
Thanks!

nycbob

is this a newly established tank? what kind of light fixture r u running? anemone will shrink from time to time. the ph is very high. i am wondering if ur ph test kit is accurate.

R

richardpryor

PC's
Did a new PH test. It's now around 8.2-8.4
No, the tank has been up for a while. Been struggling with it ever since.
I wouldn't worry if the anemone was shrunk. But it looks kind of sloppy looking, not sure if I'm making sense. At least I see the tentacles moving from time to time, so I know it's alive.
How would I know if it's dead?
What do you think about the rock?

sea keeper

You will know when it has died. It will look like a puddle of melted ice cream. Be careful when you remove it from the tank and try to get all of it when you do.

perfectdark

What else can you tell us about your tank. Specifically size, age, Lights what type and how many watts. Water chemistry, specific numbers I already saw pH but what about Alk, nitrites, nitrates, amonia, temp and salinity?
That is a very bleached anemone... do you know what kind it is?

ameno

is the anemone normally white, if so it doesn't really look to bad, when they start to die the will start to bleach out and draw up. sometimes they srink up some and then come back, did anything die or anything out of the ordinary happen? should not have just had an ammonia spike for no reason once the tank has cycled. that's probably what has made him draw up. I would def. keep an eye on things and make sure you ammonia drops out and watch your no2 and no3 levels also. One of the comments by Randy Farley is that rarely will PH go above 8.5 and when it does it usually has to do with a bad test.
So if it looks way off norm. always try a second test, been there done that

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ameno
is the anemone normally white, if so it doesn't really look to bad, when they start to die the will start to bleach out and draw up. sometimes they srink up some and then come back, did anything die or anything out of the ordinary happen? should not have just had an ammonia spike for no reason once the tank has cycled. that's probably what has made him draw up. I would def. keep an eye on things and make sure you ammonia drops out and watch your no2 and no3 levels also. One of the comments by Randy Farley is that rarely will PH go above 8.5 and when it does it usually has to do with a bad test.
So if it looks way off norm. always try a second test, been there done that

There is no such thing as a healthy white anemone....

lexluethar

Anemones SHOULD NOT be white - a white anemone means that it is bleached. So the color has nothing to do with the water chemistry, and has to do with the lights. Usually people purchase them white from the store because they are pretty, but in reality it means they are unhealthy. A dark tan / brown color is the actual color of most anemones - and yours looks like maybe a sabea...
As for your rock if that green stuff is algea then no, it is not a good piece of rock (i can't tell from the picture). If it is green coraline then yes, that is a very nice piece of LR.
When your anemone dies, it wouldn't react to you/fish touching it - it should retract when things touch it. You will also notice that it will start to fall apart (literally), flesh will come off in chunks, tenticles will fall off, etc. IMHO, the anemone LOOKS fine, just bleached. Perhaps get a closer picture.

ameno

humm didn't know that, I have seen a lot of white anemonies that seem very healthy, they actually sell some on this site, one is called a white sabea anemonie. and is a yellow to white color with purple tips. from the pic it looks like this one has purple tips. Not saying this one does not have some bleaching, but I think it has a normal light to whitish color to it.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ameno
humm didn't know that, I have seen a lot of white anemonies that seem very healthy, they actually sell some on this site, one is called a white sabea anemonie. and is a yellow to white color with purple tips. from the pic it looks like this one has purple tips. Not saying this one does not have some bleaching, but I think it has a normal light to whitish color to it.

No and in fact the one on this site is a bleached pic.. LFS or distrubuters will intentionally bleach them thinking this is a desirable look for an anem and because it floureses neon green under actinic lighting people tend to think thats the color anem they are buying. Other than being bleached yes I believe the anem may still be healthy however bleaching is the beginning stages of a failing anemone if it goes unalterd.

S

swalchemist

No offence at all here but I would like to see some proof of the bleaching claim you have made. I have seen white anemone in huge public aquariums and in private displays set up for years. Other anemone in the systems have different colors but the white ones are indeed white with bright pink or purple tips and remain that way. If they are "bleached" then why are some of the bases bright orange and how can the tip colors be explained? Also if your theory is correct then they should have turned a different shade after settling in.

R

richardpryor

What else can you tell us about your tank. Specifically size, age, Lights what type and how many watts. Water chemistry, specific numbers I already saw pH but what about Alk, nitrites, nitrates, amonia, temp and salinity?
29g. More than a year old, but it's been with me for a little over a month.
PC's: Actinics and Super Sunlight, 96w each. T5's on their way.
80-83 degrees, depending on time of day.
Here's what she looks like right now

Clown hasn't been near it since last night. He's usually all over the anemone.
That is a very bleached anemone... do you know what kind it is?
no
did anything die or anything out of the ordinary happen?
The skimmate from my skimmer spilled all over the water. Fking cleaning lady. I then did a water change, but right now the tank is 3/4 full. Didn't want to add 50% of new water.
As for your rock if that green stuff is algea then no, it is not a good piece of rock (i can't tell from the picture). If it is green coraline then yes, that is a very nice piece of LR.
Umm... can you tell now with the closeup picture? Also, what about those hitchhikers? Those red worms you see in the pic? Are they cool?
Thanks all.

R

richardpryor

Here's a recent ammonia test. I really can't tell, but I think it's still 0.5

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SWAlchemist
No offence at all here but I need to see some proof of the bleaching claim you have made. I have seen white anemone in huge public aquariums and in private displays set up for years. Other anemone in the systems have different colors but the white ones are indeed white with bright pink or purple tips and remain that way. If they are "bleached" then why are some of the bases bright orange and how can the tip colors be explained? Also if your theory is correct then they should have turned a different shade after settling in.
There are different degrees of bleaching and typically it starts at the tenticles and moves down from there. The base and foot of the animal holds the most amount of zooxanthellea and with supplemental feedings the process of bleaching can take quite a long time. The coloration of white has many different shades, I am not talking about the cream colored darker shades. What I am referring too is the transparrent almost see through pearl white color. Fenner, IMO sums it up the best in one sentence which is "There is no such thing as a healthy white anemone" I posted that above but, didnt give credit where credit is due.. I believe a lot of institutions and facilities often show bleached species often because it is difficult to place and keep these animals where conditions are ideal. They are going to find their spot where they feel comfortable safe and secure even if that means sacrificing something for it.

S

swalchemist

"What I am referring too is the transparrent almost see through pearl white color..."
OK got it
He's right those are bad, stay away from them.
I still had no idea they actually did that on purpose. I guess it's like those dyed corals SWF and a few other palces sold a few years back.

perfectdark

Well thats a much better pic than the one above I believe its a sebea but not 100% on that. If it is they prefer the sand bed to live in, with their foot buried deep in it. I retract my original statment now that I can see more of the anem and in better light. While I still think its starting to bleach at the tenticles Its base and foot look good.

R

richardpryor

Yes, I know. There are quite a few worms. I've read that they are harmless, but other places say they should be removed. I haven't seen any big ones (all are more or less the size of the ones in pic), but I've seen more than 20 at one point.
There's also a hermit crab. Do you spot it?

ameno

I think it's over on the right side, but not 100% sure, I've always had bristle worms, never a problem, I've heard if you have to many that it's a bad thing. But not sure, the only ones I've ever removed were a couple fire bristles that were 3 to 4 inches lg.