Anemone not doing so well

snakeblitz33

hmm, I think I see some flatworms in the second pic. do a couple of water changes TODAY, see if your tanks parameters stabilize.

lexluethar

Just to add, a lot of bleached anemone's survive because of spot feeding. LIke dark said in large aquariums, or show aquariums it is difficult to make sure the light is ideal so spot feeding (either by hand or by a clown) becomes essential in the anemones survival. A bleached anemone without proper lighting and no spot feedings will die.
As for the piece of LR - it looks really good, that isn't algae but green coraline, good pick. The anemone looks health and looks solid. IMO it is just acclimating to the environment. The base looks solit, and it is attached to the LR.

R

richardpryor

Yes, ameno. Over at the right side. It has some pink coraline, which looks really good IMO.
Thanks Lex. The previous tank owner got it himself from the sea (very clean, unfrequented beach). Illegal, I know.
I will add about 5 more gallons today.

nycbob

1st thing u need to do to lower the ammonia to 0. a well established tank shouldnt hv .50 ammonia. anything died in the tank recently?

lexluethar

I don't know about that ammonia reading, get another test kit or have your LFS test it. It should have more of a green tint to it, and it doesn't look that way at all except the VERY top. I think he has 0 ammonia or the kit is faulty. Nothing has died in the tank, and it is an established tank (8 months i think).
If you are having troubles converting ammonia to nitrate, try to add more LR (very slowing, like a few pounds a week), or more base rock (add as much as you'd like b/c there is nothing to die on the rock) to allow beneficial bacertia to populate it. You should have 1 lb of LR per gallon of water.

shrimpi

when you say you are adding 5g do you mean you are doing a 5g water change? where do you get your water, or what kind of water are you putting in ? Whats the Specific Gravity?
Also, if youve had the tank for a month, was the tank taken down to move it to your place or how did you acquire it from the previous owner?

R

richardpryor

After the skimmer incident, I put around 15g of water and put it in 3 buckets, along with the fish. The rest of the water (which was filthy) I threw away. I put the tank in the bathtub and cleaned it with fresh water. I cleaned the glass which had some algae. The sand was very dirty as well.
After this, I put 2 buckets of water back in the tank, waited half an hour and put the fish, LR and anemone back in the tank, then added the remaining water. I then added 5g of new water (RO from Walmart).
That was yesterday. Today I went and picked up 5 more gallons of RO water, mixed it with salt, left it for about 1 hour with a power head turned on, and added. Tank is now full.
I'll be honest, I think my hydrometer is broken. I ordered a refractometer and it should be here today, or Monday. I followed the directions on the package (ie 1/2 cup of salt for every gallon).
The tank belonged to my neighbor. What we did was we put about 15g of the water in some buckets, threw away 5g, and moved the tank to my house. We cleaned the tank, put the 15g in it and then made new water.
Hope that answers your questions.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by RichardPryor
After the skimmer incident, I put around 15g of water and put it in 3 buckets, along with the fish. The rest of the water (which was filthy) I threw away. I put the tank in the bathtub and cleaned it with fresh water. I cleaned the glass which had some algae. The sand was very dirty as well.
After this, I put 2 buckets of water back in the tank, waited half an hour and put the fish, LR and anemone back in the tank, then added the remaining water. I then added 5g of new water (RO from Walmart).
That was yesterday. Today I went and picked up 5 more gallons of RO water, mixed it with salt, left it for about 1 hour with a power head turned on, and added. Tank is now full.
I'll be honest, I think my hydrometer is broken. I ordered a refractometer and it should be here today, or Monday. I followed the directions on the package (ie 1/2 cup of salt for every gallon).
The tank belonged to my neighbor. What we did was we put about 15g of the water in some buckets, threw away 5g, and moved the tank to my house. We cleaned the tank, put the 15g in it and then made new water.
Hope that answers your questions.

Given this information...there is no doubt that you anem is stressed, an established tank for over a year that you basically broke down cleaned and set back up again. Then you added back in all the live stock you had originally. How about the LR where was it all this time you had the tank apart and were cleaning it with fresh water
along with your live sand
did you rinse the LR off too with the same fresh water?
How about filtration did you clean out all of your filters including any filter media? IMO I think your lucky your live stock is still alive. If you did half of what I asked above you would of had significant die off and basically rid your tank of every piece of benificial bacteria you need for your cycle to take place. Except what was in the 2 buckets of cycled water you kept...

R

richardpryor

I know you were being sarcastic about the LR, but no, LR was not rinsed. I took it out and put it in a bucket with the old water.
Just want to clarify that I was given this tank without any prior knowledge or experience and had to read and catch up with TONS of material available online. Doing the best I can.
I guess my Yellow Tang and Clown are real troopers.

lexluethar

Just to add to your SG reading. Even though hydrometers are innacurate at times, don't judge the SG reading based off of what the bag of salt says makes 1.022 SG of salt. I've found this is extremly innacurate. I followed my salt bag (instant ocean) directions, i think it was 1/2 cup of salt for every gallon of water to make the SG 1.022 - but after following those directions my SG was 1.015 or something.
As for mixing up saltwater - I realize you were in a rush and trying to fixup the tank, but from this point forward when adding new saltwater to the tank, let is mix with a powerhead for at least 24 hours. This will help all the minerals and salt disolve, as well as raise PH of the water (i know this isn't a problem for you). If you add saltwater that isn't mixed enough into a tank it will stress out the fish and inverts - you may notice your anemone close up when you add the water - it shouldn't do that. Technically the fish and inhabitants shouldn't even notice water being added/taken out, b/c temperature and specific gravity (SG) should be constant, or if needing change a slow change (less than 1.002 SG in one day or a few degrees in one day).

shrimpi

ya your tank basically crashed because of the move and you are trying to stop the process.
Just keep up the water changes. i would do small amounts daily, and get a refractometer or take a sample to a lfs with one. I wouldnt even test daily at this point, its not going to matter, this will take time to smooth out. If you have another place to put your livestock (assuming you dont) that would be different, otherwise, just keep the water changes, and mix the water ahead of time in larger quantities.
The larger quantities will make it easier.
Might not be a bad idea to let the LFS hold the anemone for you for a week just in case, but its your choice.
Good Luck
also- when you say you cleaned the tank and sand with 'freshwater' and then got RO water from walmart, are you saying that you rinsed your sand with TAP water?
Jessica.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by RichardPryor
Yes.

Yea that was also a major contributer to your issue.. I understand this was sort of thrown at you, as sarcastic as I sounded given the things you did I was actually serious when I asked because rinsing aged LS out in tap is just as bad IMO as rinsing aged LR off with tap.
But whats done is done so dont dwell on it, just make notes an learn. Take your time from here on out watch your fish look for signs of stress. Test your water frequently maybe once a day for a couple of weeks to monitor levels. Your anem is definatly stressed under these conditions and your lighting is not going to help it. IMO I would find a place to hold it for you or give it to someone who can care for it. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask anyone here if your unsure.