anemone problem

recently my anemone has detached from a rock and has been rolling around the aquarium and its been about a week and he still hasnt attached, should i be worried

roadie996

how long was the anemone in its spot before it let go? are any of your powerheads hitting it directly where it was?

when i first put it in it found a place with decent flow and it stayed there for about a week then it uprooted and it hasn't planted yet

rod buehle

its a sand dwelling anemone.. Dig a lil hole in the sand, and 'plant' its foot. if you have enough lighting, it will stay, but if it starts to climb the rocks, you'll need to look for better lighting

flower

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/3122451
its a sand dwelling anemone.. Dig a lil hole in the sand, and 'plant' its foot. if you have enough lighting, it will stay, but if it starts to climb the rocks, you'll need to look for better lighting

I had a sand dwelling anemone...planting it won't work...it will move because you messed with it. leave it alone...it will find its own happy place. JMO

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3122453

I had a sand dwelling anemone...planting it won't work...it will move because you messed with it. leave it alone...it will find its own happy place. JMO
So is it their central nervous system or its brain that tells them these things/ (because they have neither).
but if it starts to climb the rocks, you'll need to look for better lighting
and what type of lighting did you have?
and what type of anemone did you have?

flower

http:///forum/post/3122456
So is it their central nervous system or its brain that tells them these things/ (because they have neither).
and what type of lighting did you have?
and what type of anemone did you have?

All I know is, planting won't work...I tried that. Every time I messed with it...it moved. It has no brain agreed... LOL... but it knows when it is happy.
The picture looks like it is healthy, just on the move...leave it alone, it will settle down..(If it doesn't get sucked into a power head), and grow into a happy fish eater like mine.
2 X 175W MH on a 90g...I will search and find a picture of my long tentacle pink anemone

flower

Here is a picture of my beautiful fish eater...This anemone was huge, like 12" and it looks like it is in the rocks but its tube reached into the sand past the rocks below it. The tube was the size of my wrist and almost as long as my forearm.
The picture doesn't do it justice..it glowed in the dark. It perched right in the center of the tank like I placed it there...it knew where the fish swam. When I moved last June I didn't place the anemone back in the tank...it had eaten enough of my fish for me to not want an anemone anymore.
This monster got himself sucked into the power head 4 times...I even covered the power heads and it would still wrap itself around them. It got chopped up and survived, re-grew every time.

rod buehle

The reason that it was eating your fish is because its not even a hosting species. It is a carnivorous predator. Not even close to the same species as teh M.doreensis that we are discussing here in this thread.
So, Have you ever tried planting the foot of an M.doreensis in a tank with sufficient lighting?
Giving advice on an M.doreensis based on experience with a tube anemone is usually not wise, but if you have experiences with an M.doreensis, please share

flower

http:///forum/post/3122487
The reason that it was eating your fish is because its not even a hosting species. It is a carnivorous predator. Not even close to the same species as teh M.doreensis that we are discussing here in this thread.
So, Have you ever tried planting the foot of an M.doreensis in a tank with sufficient lighting?
Giving advice on an M.doreensis based on experience with a tube anemone is usually not wise, but if you have experiences with an M.doreensis, please share

I agree I don't have that type..However every anemone of all types have somethings in common.
  • They ALL shrink up and look dead, but are fine.
  • They ALL move and find a happy place without your help.
    They ALL are predators and will eat fish.
    They ALL are in danger from power heads sucking them up.
Are you angry because I say don't try planting it? Because you sound angey, I mean no harm, and my advice isn't bad nor hurtful...the OP can try it...doing so will do him/her no good..messing with any critter is not a good thing. Unless you HAVE TO...don't touch it. JMO

well ive already tryed digging him a hole in the sand but all that did was give the clown something to do for a while, also ive noticed that the clown has been picking stuff out of the center of the anemone's foot, i also triied the pvc pipe idea but that didnt work a all because when i triied to put him in it he'd swell up and would fit