Anemone Problems?

blutang

When I first got my long tentacle anemone it was a really bright white with pink tips, and now its getting a kind of darker shade to it almost getting towards tan tentacles. Is this bad or good and if bad what can I feed it? It is still in full bloom and all that but its not as brilliant of a white as it used to be.

blutang

Yeah, I know what to feed them...I'm just concerned about the look of him, and I want to make sure that its normal, and if it isn't, exactly whats going on and what to do about it.

When anemones are shipped they turn white due to a lack of light. The zooanthellae are expelled or die leading to the lack of color. When we put them into our tanks with good light they reproduce the zooanthellae and return to the tan color. The zooanthellae allow them to obtain some nutrition from the lighting (photosynthesis), however they still need to be fed. I feed mine frozen brine and pieces of cocktail shrimp, depending on the anamone. Turning back to the tan color is a good thing, means the anemone is getting healthy again. HTH

tallyho

:) :) Heavenly Damsel,
Thanks for your info. I had picked just purchased the
the brightest white anemone because of it's color.
It actually seemed to move into shade of some rock
to avoid my 250 w metal halide.After three weeks
it stayed bright white and died.
Am I correct to assume picking a white one over
a darker one is riskier?
regards