Anemone - Puking, Pooing or dying?

marvelfan

Please advise me on the state of my anemone.. Doesn't look so hot. It tentacles have not been out for a while and its been hiding in darkness for about a week. Today it moved out to an upper rock. I've been running my lights at minimum for the last 3 days (8 hours blue, 2 hours white. I get home today and this is what my anemone looks like.
Since I've had him I have not been able to get him to eat silversides or anything. I was waiting for him to settle before I tried again.
Should I get it out of the tank?

marvelfan

BTW...
79 F
7.9-8.1 pH
Nitrates undetectable (however I do have some cyano, so there could be some being masked)
Phos just tested 0 two nights ago.
Calc 420
Mag 1360
Alk 9.2
Salinity 1.024

marvelfan

Guess it was too late. Went back down to check non him. Found it floating around the tank disintegrating. I took him out. Did a 20% water change and adjusted my skimmer. Sad about the loss. Could not get him to be happy or eat.
Everything else is looking pretty great. My corals are really open, more then ever and fish seems fine. I know my parameters haven't been very stable lately. I had some issues the last couple weeks while trying to battle the cyano, so I'm sure messing with lighting and water changes may have stressed it out too much.

kylev

I have not been active in the forums for awhile so not sure if this info is else where but how old is your tank? My current tank is the only one I ever was able to get anemones to strive in and I believe its simply because I waited well over a year to add any.

marvelfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///t/395700/anemone-puking-pooing-or-dying#post_3523856
I have not been active in the forums for awhile so not sure if this info is else where but how old is your tank? My current tank is the only one I ever was able to get anemones to strive in and I believe its simply because I waited well over a year to add any.
My 120 gallon tank has been set up for 7 months now, however, 1/2 of the rock in the new tank was transferred from my 1-year old 30 gallon reef. I feel part if the issue was bad timing. After the anemone was added I started to have other issues which caused some experimentation and instability in my tank. I probably stressed him out more then necessary. I won't be getting another for a long while, also I will probably make my next anemone purchase in person. I would like to see the color and see it eat, etc.

kylev

Buying an anemone in person is always a good decision IMO. I monitored the ones I bought at my LFS for a week or so before I purchased to be safe.