Anemone Question

lovecraft

I hope it is, cause I get my 192wtt tomorrow (Odyssea-Jebo PC cheapies). I want to try something cool but newbie friendly for the percs I eventually get.
This is what it's sposed to have.
2x Bulti-in fans.
3 x Blue moon LED
1x 96w Straight pins 12000K Daylight PC Bulb.
1x 96W Straight pins True Actinic PC Bulb.
$99
I just ain't got the guts to jump in with $300+ lights yet. Eventually, but gonna ride these out first. Decent reviews on them, especially for the price. We'll see....

browniebuck

I have had my pink tipped haitian anemone in my 55g with 260 watts of PC (same lights, I think). It has been doing very well thus far, though it shifted on the rock that it was anchored to and got sucked into the intake of my HOB filter. It is still doing well, though it looks like it got a really bad hair cut.
My advice is to start with something relatively inexpensive (such as a condy or a pink tip) to see how well it does. If it works out well, you can trade that one in and get something else if you wish.

dawman

Originally Posted by CAM78
Is it true that anemones will do well under strong PC lighting?
Do better than what ? Standard flourescent ? S.F. is no where enough for anemones . P.C. is the very minimal which I have a few under . Then T-5 , or M.H.

lovecraft

Originally Posted by Dawman
P.C. is the very minimal which I have a few under . Then T-5 , or M.H.
So which ones(anenomes) do you keep under those(PC's)?

dawman

As mentioned ;
P.C. is the very minimal which I have a few under
I keep my anemones under pc lighting .

E

essop3

Bubble tips and condi anemones will be ok. Most other anemones should be avoided unless you are pretty experienced anyways.

robdog696

$99?!? My lfs is selling that exact light for $250 (well the local store that I don't like, but my favorite store does not sell lighting). My e-mail is robdog696@msn.com if you would be kind enough to shoot me an email where u found them for this price! Btw I have a bta (bubble tip anemone) under the 96w oddysea pc lights. He wasn't lookin so hot first week, so I moved him up on the rock, closer to the lighting. Now he looks better than he did at the lfs. And my true percs are starting to take interest!
YAY!

lovecraft

Originally Posted by essop3
Bubble tips and condi anemones will be ok. Most other anemones should be avoided unless you are pretty experienced anyways.
Thank you essop3, I'm looking into getting one soon.
Robdog and anyone that is interested. I got it from the big auction website,(ix-nay on mentioning the auction-bay
) new, so no bidding, straight price. The store/guy doesn't cover the bulbs if they are broken in shipping, that's the only thing I'm a little concerned with but I was planning on getting better bulbs anyway in a few months. For that price I figured they might not be great bulbs.

michaeltx

please do not ask for or supply links to other sites. that site is purposely block if someone wants to hunt thats fine but please do not try to post around the auto censor.
Next thing is there are some anemones that do ood under PC lighting but it really depends on the tank size and depth and how much lighting you have on the tank. a little more info on your tank will allow any recomendations to be made. 99% of all anemones can survive sub par lighting levels short term but in long term they do not do well. excess splitting is triggered by a survival instinct so that isnt to good when that happens. RBTA are an exception though they split out of now where and several times.
Mike

1journeyman

Originally Posted by cjml
PC lighting-no MH.....have 7 big rose anemones..
Cjml, does your anemone always extend upwards like that? My BTA did that the week my HQI went out. I think it is an anemone's way of telling you it is not getting enough light. Got my light fixed and anemone settled right back down.

cjml

Hello-my anemones are out and blooming when the lights are on-they close up when lights are out...and grow bigger the more they are fed...