anemone RE hosting????

tank a holic

a friend of ming has a HUGE green carpet (like 14" huge)
it was for about 3 years hosted by a perc
I stopped by the other day and noticed the perc was gone, he said he had a 3 day power outage last winter and the perc dissappeared but the carpet and all corals did fine (perc was only fish in tank) -- thus thinking the nem ate the perc
he added a coral beauty and now wants a smaller BTA and new clown
he'll give me the carpet free but will it host my tomato clown after having hosted another clown previously?? especially if he indeed ate it??

btldreef

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3181549
a friend of ming has a HUGE green carpet (like 14" huge)
it was for about 3 years hosted by a perc
I stopped by the other day and noticed the perc was gone, he said he had a 3 day power outage last winter and the perc dissappeared but the carpet and all corals did fine (perc was only fish in tank) -- thus thinking the nem ate the perc
he added a coral beauty and now wants a smaller BTA and new clown
he'll give me the carpet free but will it host my tomato clown after having hosted another clown previously?? especially if he indeed ate it??
It should. They don't care what clown it is. The question is more, "Will my Tomato Clown host with the anemone?" The anemone doesn't really choose, the clown does.
Keep in mind that most Carpets, especially at that size are fish eaters eventually and are prone to eating Mandarins in case you have one.
Since this anemone is from an established tank, make sure you're lighting is the same or very similar, as well as water parameters. Hope your tank is big enough for a huge carpet to move around until it finds it's "happy place" without stinging a ton of corals in the process.

tank a holic

I have a 125
I'm going to check all params closely over the next week or so and compare to his, not sure what his are yet
I dont have a mandarin yet but was thinking of getting one but I wanted more LR before I tried it, maybe I'll have to rethink that purchase
thanks

coral hind

Most carpet eating fish events happen when the light goes out. A night light over the tank helps so the fish can see the anemone before they bump into it and get digested.

spanko

Fish chasing a pc. of food, fish being chased by another fish, etc. etc.
If they get close enough for whatever reasont carpets are extremely sticky and will catch the fish.

gill again68

My choice for my clowns was to not have an anemone. I got a toadstool instead. Of course my clowns decided that they would go for a star polyp instead. Do you really want the carpet or do you want something to host your clown? Point I am making is there are choices outside of anemones. Good luck!

tank a holic

I think the carpet looks awesome and have always wanted a nem
I was leaning towards a RBTA but...
a FREE huge green carpet........

tank a holic

so I got the nem yesterday, it seems really happy
its opened up nice and has a good bell shape, sometimes lies out flat
the clown doesnt seem to pay much attention to it
is there anything to do to get it to host or just let nature take its course?
I'll get some pics hopefully tomorrow

oh no you shouldn't expect it to go right to it, it took my clown a loooong time for the instinct to kick in. Nemo was a tiny little thing when I got him and he was tank raised and had never seen an anemone before. He had to mature a bit until finally one day I walked in my room and he was burrowing away in it with the excitement of a child with a new toy ^.^ It was so cute I called the whole family in to watch