Anemone + salt = bonehead

gregghia

I dropped a small hunk of salt in my tank and it landed right on the anemone last night. I got it off quickly but today it has already begun to die. Its deteriorating and when I waved some flow against him it dispersed through the tank!
There are some tenticles left but not good.
#1 Is there any chance this will regenerate or is it history?
#2 Any harm done to system having this thing break apart and bits floating everywhere? The fish are eating most of it!
Dang it...

lion_crazz

Small hunk and one grain are very different. A small hunk would be more than enough to kill a nuisance anemone. The small hunk would have a similiar effect on a larger anemone.
There is a tiny chance the anemone will make it, but realistically speaking, I would not count on it.
If it were me, and it was deteriorating for sure, I would do a water change to get most of it out of the tank.

yearofthenick

I'm sorry dude.... that really sucks.
I had something similar happen to one of my anemone's about a year ago. He got caught in between two rocks and got scraped up a little on his side. I figured he would be fine, but when he started to disintegrate, that's when I knew i had to get him out of the tank.
If your anemone starts to disintegrate, then there really isn't much hope. I would remove him... when anemone's die, they coat the tank in this white milky stuff... it could kill everything and throw all your levels off. I had it happen to a friend of mine... he had one in a 14g and it died. After that, his tank went all out of whack and everything died... including his corals. this was after about 3 50% water changes over the course of the following week.
Good luck dude.