Anemone shrimp or crab?????

ive been think for about a year now id like to add a anemone shrimp or crab maybe a sexy shrimp to my tank....will my clowns who already host my anemone try to kill one of these little guys?

btldreef

It depends. My clowns are aggressive with my anemone crab every now and then, epsecially if they are about to or just recently spawned, but they've learned to get along. If your clowns are really aggressive I wouldn't even try it (with maroon clowns, for example). If they're semmy aggressive, a crab is a better idea than a sexy shrimp.
keep in mind that sexy shrimp don't "need" anemones, they can also use a frogspawn, hammer or torch coral. Also, one time my female clown was very aggressive and kicked my anemone crab out, he hosted with a SPS colony for weeks and slowly ventured his way back into the anemone and now they get along.

thanks, my little nemo's seem real mello they eat out of my hand. they have a huge sebae nem over 12in. i also have a tiny rose nem not big enough for anyone yet. i cant seem to find much online about adding a crab or shrimp to a men thats already "claimed" thats why i have not got one yet. i have no hammer or frogspawn if the clowns were to be mean. anyone else have any input?

btldreef

If your anemone is that large, your clowns are mellow and you have another anemone, you should be fine.

cool. ive read that a coral banded shrimp will kill them, is this true? if so id have to move mine. what about other types of shrimps or crabs should i be aware of?

btldreef

90% of the time Coral Banded shrimp will kill smaller inverts. IMO CBS are not reef safe because they tend to kill smaller critters and have even been known to munch on small fish.

indy2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane66979 http:///forum/thread/382604/anemone-shrimp-or-crab#post_3340259
ive been think for about a year now id like to add a anemone shrimp or crab maybe a sexy shrimp to my tank....will my clowns who already host my anemone try to kill one of these little guys?
Not going to work..should of added them first before your clownfish..You never mentioned what type of clownfish you have..if Clarkii's it will never happen they are too territorial..Cinnamon or tomatoes would probably work..but best if they are paired..