anemone sting...OUCH!!!

bmkj02

My girlfriend called me a little while ago to tell me she found a weird looking anemone in her tank and she touched it. Well it stung her and now her finger is red and throubing. Any meds recommended or anything?

most just hurt for a while but some stings can be life thretening, if the finger starts swelling or ozzing better get her to the docter and tell them what happened

ilovemytank

No meds necessary. I've been stung many trimes. You would think that I would learn to wear gloves when handling them. I used to have a tank with several of them and had to rearrange the tank one time and I handled them way too much with bare hands. I was hurting for days. Its not the smartest thing I ever did.

flower

Hey what kind of anemone??? So I can be safe. I have touched my long tentacle tube anemone many times and never got stung. So what kind stings

bmkj02

Well I had an outbreak of aptasia. I used Joe's Juice to kill them off but seems like one was hiding till now and it got huge. She texted me a picture and it looked just like an aptasia. When I get to her house tomorrow I will kill it off with some left over Joe's that I have. I got off yje phone with her and she says it still hurts. Been a few hours. She has tried warm water, vinegar and ice. I guess she will need to give it time. Somehow I see it being my fault

ca161406

maybe pee on it like a jelly sting hahaha
i've handled nems many times but never been stung..hmm lol

flower

Aiptashia can sting us??? I never touched one, but really?? I heard they sting corals, but us too???

I heard that ammonia will stop the sting...I just remembered that. My girlfriend says it doesn't work very well, she got stung by a fire coral.

bmkj02

I told her that yesterday and she said it wasnt funny...

fishkid13

I didn't know we could feel ap's sting. I have handled many anemones and never been stung. I feel sorry for your friend getting stung be the fire coral.
Hey if ammonia "helps" then stick your hand in my tank. Jk

flower

Originally Posted by bmkj02
http:///forum/post/3034823
I told her that yesterday and she said it wasnt funny...

You can buy ammonia for first aid in case it ever happens again. I wouldn't think it was funny to pee on it either.

sk8shorty01

Maybe she is more succeptible to the sting than most of us or something. Similar to the salt water irritates some of our arms when we are working in the tank a while, some more than others. I have handled mine without problems but I have noticed if I have to mess with them for any extended period of time my hands start to get a little irritated, but not to the point of hurting, swelling, or anything like that.

bmkj02

When I got to her house this anemone is big. I dont think aptasia get this big but the head is the size of a silver dollar. Here is a picture and tell me what you think this is. Its nice looking.Thanks!!!

flower

I am no expert but it looks like a rock anemone to me. I didn't know they could sting. I had two, one was brown and the other was white. I used to feed them with a turkey baster...the mouth would open wide to feed..really cool. I would feed them while friends watched in awe.

jackri

Doesn't look like aiptasia.
Other people are more sensitive than others. I manhandled my carpet anemone and had feelers peel off onto my skin --- after some freshwater flushing and some scrubbing I got them off with no irritation.

oneradtek

ya because i can touch my anemone with my fingers and i feel nothing.I eeven feed my nem with own hands! Some people actually will touch the anemones with their fingers to see if its sticky or not, a sign of good health. The only times i have gotten a little sting is when the back side,more sensitive, portions of my hand/arm touch corals/nems. My frogspawn i think hurts more than anemones.

bmkj02

Never hear of a Rock Anemone. Are they like aptasia and needs to be killed off? Are they dangeous to anything else in the tank?

flower

I don't have a picture of my brown one (pre camera days) here is a picture of my white one. I really liked it and it never duplicated or roamed around. It was a tiny tad bigger than a silver dollar in size.