anemone stings

misfit

Hurts ,feels like bee sting or getting burned. Some carpets can actually take some skin off cause they are so sticky :scared: Be careful cause they dont always sting, sometimes I can touch mine and they dont the next time they do!!!!

eaglephot

My LT anemone just felt like it was sticking to my hand. Some anemones like a carpet I have heard, will close on your hand and sting you.

thegrog

It all depends on the type of anemone and how sensitive you are.
If you are allergic to bee or insect stings, then be VERY careful when handling anemones as their toxins can trigger the same allergic reaction that a bee sting will cause...which is potentially fatal.
Some people are just more sensitive than others. You actually get stung every time you touch one, just that most of the time the stinging cells do not penetrate far enough into your skin to cause any harm. Sometimes you will get a little reaction (red bumps). Either way, you should wash your hands really well after handling them before you touch your eyes or mouth as those surfaces are far more sensitive.
Should you feel a stinging or burning after touching one, rinse the affected area off with vinegar before using water. the vinegar will neutralize the toxins and stop any more damage from occuring. Then rinse with soap and water.
Hope this answers your questions.
-The Grog, M.D.

crashedin0

carpet stickness as in i lefted him out of the water before he let go but my dawg carlos got red bump all over his left for arm caring a 20 inch plus anemone across the room
sebea sticky not as much only time it hurt was when it stung an open cut
condi hurt but not bad
LT same as seabea
thats all ive ever felt

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by FISHY7
I use gloves and never had a problem.

I was wondering if anyone ever used gloves as it seems like the sensible thing to do :) (I had planned to)

xdave

I lost 4 layers of skin on the inside of my arm from my wrist to my elbow from a Red Sea saddle anemone.
The boss at the distributor I worked for got a 75% off deal on them if we bought all 500. They guy at the collection station said they were real big but we did not expect them to be 18" to 24" across, and we were not prepared. We put them in the 15 500 gallon sumps for the LR system. We were a bit concerned because they had been poorly collected and about 25% of them had been torn at the foot. We went home for the weekend. When I went back on Sunday at least 50% of them were dead and you could smell it from the gas station 200 yards away. If you've ever smelled a dead anemone, multiply that by several hundred pounds. We decided it would be easiest to pull out the live ones and flush the system. I had one in a big net and when I went to put it in the bucket it flopped head down on the inside of my arm. It wouldn't come off and I had to go to the emergency room to have it removed. People in the waiting room were freaking out when they saw it.

yerboy

Originally Posted by Oceanists
Sometimes I eat my anemones .... j/k
With BBQ sauce yumm yumm!!

renogaw

i've been insanely lucky. i've handled both of my bta's without getting stung, and i know they've tried. i am either too thick skinned, or immune to them.
ACK! i fell to the Post Resurection society :(

greymach

Originally Posted by xDave
I lost 4 layers of skin on the inside of my arm from my wrist to my elbow from a Red Sea saddle anemone.
The boss at the distributor I worked for got a 75% off deal on them if we bought all 500. They guy at the collection station said they were real big but we did not expect them to be 18" to 24" across, and we were not prepared. We put them in the 15 500 gallon sumps for the LR system. We were a bit concerned because they had been poorly collected and about 25% of them had been torn at the foot. We went home for the weekend. When I went back on Sunday at least 50% of them were dead and you could smell it from the gas station 200 yards away. If you've ever smelled a dead anemone, multiply that by several hundred pounds. We decided it would be easiest to pull out the live ones and flush the system. I had one in a big net and when I went to put it in the bucket it flopped head down on the inside of my arm. It wouldn't come off and I had to go to the emergency room to have it removed. People in the waiting room were freaking out when they saw it.
got any pics?

boozzbro

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
I was wondering if anyone ever used gloves as it seems like the sensible thing to do :) (I had planned to)

make sure you use powder free gloves or you will cause a whole mess of problems.
I used gloves for my bubble tip.

tolboy

I just got stung today and man did it feel great ecspecially after I rubbed my eyes.I had to rinse them out with battery acid.I did'nt want to but my mom made me.

reef diver

Battery acid u sure, cause i think battery acid would umm, how should I say this...... MELT your eyes! I heard ur supposed to use lemon juice. All I can say is never crack open a non-alkaline battery, i tried and I have a dent in my finger to prove it. went right to the bone.