Anemone Under Florescents

treble

I have read for a while about anemones and a couple of my friends and a couple of the pages have mentioned that a couple species can be kept under Flourescent lights. Is this so? What species? Thank you

j21kickster

In general anemones dont live long in an aquarium- under flourscents you can count on it to die- they need BRIGHT light

barracuda

I have Green Carpet anemone for more than year now in my 110 gal tank. In FO setup she lived under 2 NO bulbs. Now in my reef setup she lives under 5 NO bulbs at the bottom of the tank.

nm reef

I've had a condy live in my fish only for over a year now.....70 watts of NO lighting and weekly feedings. It still has its brown/tan color and is probably 4 times its origional size.

kelly

I have a flower anenome, curliques, and condys that are doing fine under under 40 watt fluorescent bulbs. It seems like they do better in well established tanks with weekly feedings.
The condys that when I got them (given to me by a petshop that was sold) were bleached out, within a couple of weeks, the color returned, and they almost doubled in size. I run 10,000K tritons, and actinic bulbs.
I am not totally sold on j21kickster comments, nothing personal against j21kickster. If I went by what I had read, and not by what I have experienced, I would have said the same thing. I have read many articles on the subject and believe many anenomes die at the hands of inexperienced aquarists. Anenomes do not get all of their energy from symbiotic algae, they do also get it from direct feedings. I have read articles that some anenomes can be kept for years with little light if feed properly.
I do not advocate keeping them, but if you choose to do so, make sure you do everything possible to give them the best chance of surviving.

j21kickster

Noticed how i said "in general" so of course i would have any one who kept one alive jump on me for it. And by the way what i said wasn't just from reading, as you implied, and that i had no personal exp. i work at the lfs and i have customers tell me about dead anemones often. I hear about them under all conditions NO, VHO, PC, MH. and i heat about deat dnes 2X as much as people who kept them alive. Yes i do have one and its been alive for quite a while and for someone trying to kep one who knows nothing about them might not do so well.

kelly

j21kickster,
I was afraid that I would offend you, and the post was not in reference to you, your knowledge, experience or anything else to do with you. I apoligize if I offended you. The reference "If I went by what I had read, and not by what I have experienced, I would have said the same thing." was not meant for you, it was referring to me.
I also stated: "many anenomes die at the hands of inexperienced aquarists", and to that I will add experienced aquarists also.
I personally feel there is a lot of things we do not know about them, or reef keeping in general. This is still a realitively new hobby, and as time goes on, I am sure we all will learn alot more.
Once again, I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent. Hopefully we can disagree or openly discuss things without taking offense.
The part of your statment that I disagreed with was "under flourscents you can count on it to die- they need BRIGHT light". There are many different types of anenomes, and I am sure some will live in the absense of bright lights. You have the nuisance anenomes like aipstasia, there is one that is from tonga, I do not know the name, but these 2 types seem to thrive not matter what the lighting. We can argue the point, but that is not necessary.
I agree with you that anenomes should not be kept in captivity. I will not argue about the rate of mortality. Until more is known about their husbandry, they should be avoided. Unfortunately most pet shops offer them, and they will continue to die in our hands.
I have had some of my anenomes for over 8 years under 2 40W fluorescent bulbs. Again, I do not advocate keeping them. If they were not offered at the LFS, we would not have this problem. It could be considered irresponsible that they are even ordered in by the local fish stores, knowing that the majority of them will not survive in captivity, but I guess it's all about making money. Anyways, accept my apology.
Best wishes

indy1

At Shed's Aquarium in Chicago they have anemones under no specific lighting in cold water. It was in their Pacific Northwest exhibit. Being one that has lost anemones, I couldn't believe what I saw..

j21kickster

Kelly, no need to alpolgize, im not offended. Sometimes its just we come across ignorant hardheads on this board from time to time. My main objection but the orginal post from Treble is that he seemed inexperinced, i was just warning him that without further knowledge he might not have the same fortune that som people do who keep them for a long time

alf3482

Originally posted by j21kickster
In general anemones dont live long in an aquarium- under flourscents you can count on it to die- they need BRIGHT light

Pretty bold statement. I have a BTA that is a little over two years old has split twice. They live in a 55 gal tank with 2x 96wpc and 2x 55w PC. Shush don't tell my BTA they aren't suppose to live.:D
But I do not recommend anenomes to a beginner. they do require higher light than some corals. But it does not take MH to keep all anenomes. And yes survival rate is low for most.

S

sandy

What is a Condi?
What is the ideal light watts per gallon for a bubble tip? 4? 6?

it wont work, i was lucky my carpet double it size in my tank unders the jbj pc's.i had to take it back to the store.i wish though he would of stayed smaller

S

sandy

pc = power compact?
What is a condi?
I'm still considering how I feel about owning an anenome, considering the problems with lifespan/environment. Sure would like one someday though.
I'm checking out the following for my 50 gal long"
JBJ-Formosa DX JG3 65W*4 2 10,000K DAYLIGHT/2 100K BLUE 260 WATTS 48" L x 9" W x 3.2" H $329.99 at
http://www.thehiddenreef.com/webpage...osa_dx_jg3.htm

alf3482

condi = CONDYLACTIS ANEMONE
and The WPG is a terrible way to measure. But if using 96w pc's I would say at least 5wpg.

alf3482

I would link you to a great thread on this subject. But I was asked by the Moderator's on this board not to link you all to another board. :rolleyes: So in keeping with this if you are interested, e-mail me at robert@reefaquariumguide.com I will supply you with a link .:)
P.S. To the Mod's I'm not trying to be controversial. Just trying to abide by your request.;)