Anemone with 260watts

chypriss

Hey guys I was wondering if I could keep a long tentical anemone in a 55gal with 260 watts? I know carpet is out of the question, just checking and thanks for the feedback.

chypriss

I think but im not to sure that i saw that I might be able to keep a Florida Condi, long tentical, not to sure, still looking.

inkman2004

I have a bubble tip in 260 and it is doing great. I was told I could have a LTA, but I am not 100% about it.

stessman

i have 196 watts on my 38 gal and had a small carpet anemone in there and it did great for a long time untill it just dissapered one day. But im fairly sure it wasnt cause the lights.

A

andretti

Here's the deal. Yes you could have a few anemones with your lighting i.e. long, Hatian, bubble and a few others but they require PRISTINE water condtions and cannot take even small changes in pH, temp, salinity, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc, etc. Even if you do have this hobby mastered the fact remains that they just don't do well in captivity.
I know when I first began I just had to have a purple tip, sebae, and a carpet; that's why I spent nearly $700 on my lighting system! :thinking: Anyway, both died after about six months (which is normal in captivity). I found the hard way and I killed three animals plus wasted a hundred bucks! Sure there a people who have had their for a few years but about 78% die before they are even three months old.

55galgill

a i got a bubbletip under 260 watts and he's happy as can be i feed him everyother day...did i mention its getting big too lol. just make sure you aclimate your anemone well and it will be fine. water quality is a must, it can stand small changes but anything huge and your taking a gamble

bergamer

my LTA just died last week, I bought it last oct.
I have 260 watts PC and I dont think it was ever really happy
In fact I could never got it to eat, I never fed it once since last oct
and it never settled down and wandered everywhere
I would not get another anenome, unless I had M.halides

snipe

i have 196 watts on my 38 gal and had a small carpet anemone in there and it did great for a long time untill it just dissapered one day. But im fairly sure it wasnt cause the lights.
Actually IMO I think it is because your lights. Carpets need really high lights and since there usually on the bottom of the tank they need very high lighting.
Anyway, both died after about six months (which is normal in captivity).
That just isnt true. I know ppl who have the same anemone for years and have split into multiple ones. 2 ppl I know on another forum have 12 and 13 anemones that all split from the single one they got 2 years ago. Bad husbandry is the only reason they die so soon.
just get condilactus they cheap and my clownfish likes them lol
Some clowns will host a condy but most of the time they wont since condies are found in colder waters and clowns dont live there.
In fact I could never got it to eat, I never fed it once since last oct
and it never settled down and wandered everywhere
I agree with you it either had to mutch flow on it all the time or it wasnt enough light.

murph145

i have a 100 gallon tank with 470w PC and i have 2 RBTA's and 2 LTA's one purple and one a brown color...... anyways i have had all of them at least a year the RBTA's actually were one and split like 8 months ago.... i have had both of the LTA's for about a year and a half now.... they actually survived under lower lighting conditions before i really knew what and how to keep them....
i would think they should be fine in your tank.... but your water also has to be very good not too much fluctuation.... if you have good water then i would give it a try .... id consider the LTA or a bubble ive heard most success stories with them.... :happyfish

L

lockemup

Here is what I have found with mine. My first was a Sabae and it lasted about 6 months. This lived under 2x96w pc lights and a 40w fl. Since then, I have added a 175w MH along with the 2x96w PC and no longer use the 40W FL. I currently have a 6 month old green bubble tip which has divided itself into 3 seperate anemones. They each moved to locations they like and have grown and healed themselves nicely and are eating regurlarily. I also have a condi which has been in my tank for nearly a month and he is looking spectacular. I believe the first one I had I killed due to overfeeding and water conditions. I am not even close to an expert and have had my share of heartache with this hobby, but IMO, your lighting should be sufficient. Just let the thing creep to where he likes being and feed him 1x every couple weeks and he should be fine. By the way, one of my bubble tips are full of clown eggs. I hope the shrimpo little male fertilized...

murph145

my one anemone fatality was with a sebae also.... i wouldnt recommend one to anyone ... i have heard many people have hard times with them... and that was the one that didnt survive in my tank probably lasted about 4 months....

reefnut

Anyway, both died after about six months (which is normal in captivity).

That just isnt true.
IMO it's kind of true... but not due to the anemone... unfortunately it seems a lot of people report their anemones dieing within the first 6-months. I agree giving the correct conditions it is not "NORMAL" but a lot of beginners (myself included) seem to get them before they, or their tank is ready. On average I would say it takes the anemone around 6-months to die.
Second the water conditions... you could have enough lighting to replicate the sun and they still will not do well if the water chemistry isn't good. This is one reason most people will recommend a tank being at least a year old before add a anemone. By a year the tank has typically stabilized.

snipe

I agree that is what I was saying. It takes an anemone around 6 months to die so you might just think it died because of natural causes and infact it was just husbandry or an unstable tank. I agree on the waiting but I havent heard very many year replies mostly 6 months. But I have heard ppl say wait a year.