Anemone without Clownfish?

vince

yes! anemones will do fine without clownfish(s). It's clownfish that will thrive better when it has an anemone.

bassmaster

Clownfish do better with Anenome's, not the other way around, but while we're on it, i have a puzzeling little story to tell.
My sister's 29 gallon (with LR) has a Maroon Clown, a bubble tipped anenome, a cleaner shrimp, and (had) a neon doddyback. Guess What? With the doddyback to entertain it, the clownfish never even bothered to touch the anenome. But recently, the doddyback managed to jump out of a little hole at the top of the tank and kill itself. So NOW the clown appreciates and snuggles with the anenome.
So basically, most clownfish love anenomes, but some could care less about them if there are other fish in the tank. Keep that in mind. ;)

amphiprion

Clownfish do not need an anemone to thrive in your tank. Especially tank raised clown fish - they've never seen one.
Unless you have the proper tank set up, don't get an anemone.

kelly

Originally posted by BassMaster:
<STRONG>Here's a simple little riddle for y'll.
A man walks down the road in a clown suit for his sons birthday party. Upon getting there, his son asks, "What are you supposed to be, Dad?". His father responds, "A clown, of course!" His son looks puzzeled. "But dad, that's not a clown costume, that's a fish costume." "Son, this is definently a clown costume. Are you blind?" As it turns out, they were both right. What is his father dressed in? </STRONG>
A Clownfish suit.

dad

ok. I'm only talking from what i have seen in my own tank. I had an anemone that constantly shrivled up(sorry for the spelling). I though it only came out(or expanded) when light was introduced. It was in a deflated state most of the time. Well it died.
then i bought a perc. It was about to kill it's self(i thought)by swimming around as fast as it could, never slowing down, for days.
Then i bought another anemone. the perc took to it right off. this anemone never seems to deflate. they now are best friends.
personaly; get one....get the other!
this is only my opinion though. :D