Anemone

unknown

I got my first anemone today but not sure what it is.
It is sorta like the Pink Tip Haitian Anemone but with out the pink tips. It DOES have a pink base and white-black tenticals(farther they spread darker they get??) but no pink spots.
It is about 3 inches wide and GUESS WHAT
I got it for 9.95 STEAL i know. I was buying a powerhead and i went to look at their reef tank and Bam i saw the anemone look for the price. when i saw the price I almost fell over. In less then a minute I had it in a bag paid for and was on my way:happy: :happy: .
Also I was wondering if this anemone is reef safe??
Vince.:happyfish

droshi

It could be unhealthy and just lost its color, it could also be a Florida Condi Anemone...$10 isnt that great of a deal for that anemone if you ask me. they sell it for $7.99 at swf.com or a dollar less for the florida one.

unknown

I was wrong about the size it has fully opened up and is moving around and must be about 5-6" base with like 7" tentacles.
The thing is enorumuse!!:happy:
Also i have a true perc would he host in a FL, Condi

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Unknown
Also i have a true perc would he host in a FL, Condi

If it is indeed a condy then its not likely that it will host any clownfish. Never say never though, anything can happen, but the odds are way against you with a condy, or so they say.

unknown

johnny, how long did it take your clown to host your condi and was the clown in there then you put the anemone in there or other way around.
My clown has been in my tank for about 5 months now and DID host my torch coral till my mom killed it
. So is there a chance he will host. He doesnt really have a home in the tank yet he just sort of drifts every were.

T

thomas712

Vince if it doesnt work out let me know.
Which tank is this anemone in and what lights do you have over it?
Thomas

johnny5

I only had 2 domino (3dot) damsels when I first got the condy, they started hosting it within a few days. Which is very weird and rare from what I understand. About 2 months later I added a pair of tomato's and within 2 weeks they had booted the 3dots out. The queen of the tank is starting to get aggressive and very protective of it now.
IMO, I dont think you will have a problem finding your fish a home with that condy. It may take them awhile to get used to it tho. If you see them back their tail against it from time to time then your well on your way.
I guess it is possible that they could ignore it completely tho. :notsure:

unknown

In short she added to much salt and turned the lighs off for a week. I was at motocross races in cali. and she called on the fourth said some thing was wrong. she explained tld here to move EVERY thing from the 125 into the 55 and 30. she did and the torch never maid it.
He was a fighter though I put him in a week after I started my cycle and he fought threw it. I MISS HIM LOTS

I know know the frase
You dont know whatch you got til its gone...

P.S. They paved paradise to put up a parking lot...
Love that song.

unknown

Also what do I feed it I have given it some squid but it says it is also a filter feeder.
Can i add some zoothaxplankton and marine snow to feed it also??

johnny5

Squid is good. I feed mine; silversides, krill, squid, fresh seafood (shrimp, clams), and frozen brine. zooplankton is more of fish food, I think. :notsure:
What you may be thinking of is zooxanthellae, basically thats a microalgae that grows inside anemones. Its essential to their health. This is why anemones that have been shipped for thousands of miles become bleached or white.
You should definitely get a book on anemones too. :) Many of the clown books I have read have tons of info regarding anemones. Understanding their biology will help you tremendously.
:happy: