anemone ????

viper911

Can anybody tell me if there are any anemones that do not require a lot of work money and special lightting. I don't mind spending a moderate amount but I have been told you hav to break the bank on lighting. Right now I only have a 30g tank and I only have 1 clown but i would love to give him somewhere to play even though I know he does not require it as he is a tank raised clown any help is appreciated.:notsure:

bigarn

Aiptasia.... j/k
In my book there are no easy anemones. Clowns can be hosted by assorted corals though. Mine are hosted by a hammer. It's up to the clown to accept a host or not. :D

maeistero

my lfs sold me on this one that they called a "pink" anenome. i'm not entirely sure what it is yet, but i've had it for a couple months and it's getting bigger and looking better. they claim it's a deeper water anenome, so it doesn't need the light as bad. i've got 3 tube flourescents, no actinic and nothing halide on that tank. it actually lives under a live rock cave i built and avoids the light. strange thing.

22caddy

No hosting anemones without proper lighting and they are not a lot of work. They just need lots of light and good eater quality. Possibly a mini carpet if you want an anemone, but they really are like a ricordia. I hate to use this, but to gove you an idea I have about 10 watts per gallon of pc lighting. I don't feel my anemone is flourishing as much as it could be. I will be upgrading to metal halide on the new tank.

22caddy

my lfs sold me on this one that they called a "pink" anenome. i'm not entirely sure what it is yet, but i've had it for a couple months and it's getting bigger and looking better. they claim it's a deeper water anenome, so it doesn't need the light as bad. i've got 3 tube flourescents, no actinic and nothing halide on that tank. it actually lives under a live rock cave i built and avoids the light. strange thing.
No such thing as an anemone that doesn't really need the light as bad. They need the photsynthetic radiation from light for the zooxanthellae. Zooxanthellae is what feeds the anemone. I would like to see a pic of your anemone to see what it actually is.

mana_man19

Actually the flower anemones dont require much of any light at all. My LFS keeps them in a tank that is lighted with florescents. Of course they aren't very big or very pretty, and most clowns wouldn't host in one, but it has happened before. Like has been said, its really up to the clown.

rzbud99

Hello all,
It's already been said, but it really is up to the clown's. I have two aquacultured percula's and bought a bubble tip (which died after a couple of months) and a sabae (sp?) which also died. The clown's wouldn't come near either one. The guy at the lfs told me this might happen because they are aquacultured. They are doing fine without an anemone. Anyway, just thought I'd tell you about my experience. :rolleyes:

mudplayerx

Everywhere I've read says don't even think about anemones unless you have Metal Hallide lights.
If the anemone dies due to lack of light, theres a good chance that it's corpse will kill everything in the tank if you aren't at home to remove it asap.
ps- Your Clownfish don't have predators to avoid in your tank, so an anemone is not necessary at all.

humuhumu

BTA's don't require a great deal of light. I had mine under 2 55watt PC's for years in a 20g without any problems. Now they are under a HQI 150 MH, but I added that for my clams. I have a pair of maroon clowns that hang out in them all day. The only problem that I have ever had with the BTA's is when they split they tend to wounder all around the tank and occasionally end up in the power head.