anemone

georgene

i have a small brown anemone moving around in my tank. can someone tell me anything about this little guy?

T

thomas712

Welcome to the board.
First look under the inverts section on the left of the message board, then look up aiptasia.

petieaztec

I have somthing growing in my tank that looks like an anenome but i was told that its a coral eater. It is clear at first and then turns brown, and spread rapidly? If not then just ignore me but I will try to up load a pic of it monday. and if it is the same thing then there is a chemical you can buy really cheap to get rid of them or you can keep them.

georgene

I went to the fish store with a picture and was told it looked and most likely was an Aiptasia (they do move around). I ended up buying 2 Maroon yellow strip mated pair. Now I would like to get an anemone for them. But I’m not sure if my tank is ready for one. I have a 72 gallon bow front. It is 6 weeks old has 20 pounds live sand, 50 pounds live rock, I put bacteria starter in, 2 Yellow tail demoiselle, and one Blue demoiselle. I also have some corals. Lighting is metal halides and VHO fluorescent. I am thinking I would like a Rose Bubble or Green Carpet anemone. :help:

lovethesea

wow, I really didn't know they moved. THe beast we had just sat on a rock front and center in our tank and did this >>>>>>>>>>>
to us

georgene

How did you get rid of them? I have read if you scrape them off move will grow. I have also heard you can inject them with boiling water.

lovethesea

we eventually took the rock out and placed boiling hot water over the aptasia.
I hear joes juice will kill it also.
I think it was Bang or NM that said if you try to pull it off in your tank, it realeases
a zillion spores that could potentially grow in your tank.

it's_fishy

I found peppermint shrimp to be voracious aptasia eaters....in fact i purposely bought a couple LR's covered in aptasia just to give my shrimp a treat....all were gone in 2 days.