anemone

zibnata

I just started saltwater tank 2 months ago.Everthing is going smoothly. Only a couple of damsel casualties due to them being chased by another angry damsel that I eventually flushed. I have a 55 gal. 40 lbs lr. Yellow tank,hippo tang, assorted damsels, cleaner shrimp,hermit crabs,snails and 3 clowns. For lighting I only have dual 40 watt flouresents. 1 actinic blue tube and 1 full spectrum tube. My question is about an anemone I just purchased. The clowns go nowhere near it, am I supposed to feed it? Is there anough lighting?I still do know what made me buy it.Probably the pushy pet store guy.Help please

rich1515

Okay, couple of things. First, everything I say is my opinion which is based on the trial and error that I have found with my tank.
To me, two months is still a VERY new tank. Mine is only 6 months old and it is still a baby as well. 40 watts on a 55 gallon is very low. My next purchase that I would make would be to upgrade the lighting. I bought a BTA about a month ago. It literally took three weeks before my clowns would even go anywhere near it. Now, they won't leave it! So give it a little time. In the meantime what I did was take a frozen brine shrimp and swirl it near the BTA. If it is like mine, it will catch it and pull the piece in.
Since my clowns have taken to it, I have seen them bring the food to the BTA. My .02
Good luck!

zibnata

Thanks for the info RICH. I saw pics of your tank. Thats what I want mine to look like. What corals are sutible for my tank ?

rich1515

Thanks!
Here is the list of what I have:
Fox Coral
Frogspawn
HUGE Leather Tree
3 brain (2 closed, 1 open)
Button (I am not to sure the full name)
Pulsing Xenia
Featherduster
2 sponges
Tube anenome
Tree Coral
Honestly, I don't know the names of all of them but this pretty well describes them. If you would like pics of individual corals, let me know.

dindi

Really nice for a new tank, heck even an old tank. What did you use to cycle? What are your current water parameters?

jakob4001

NOTE: anemones are not soley created for clown fish or vice versa...your clowns may NEVER take to the anemone...anemone's should also only be kept in tanks w/ strong lighting and are of at least 6 months old, preferably a year...anemones LIKE TO MOVE around looking for THEIR CHOICE of the PERFECT SPOT and may/may not sting/kill other tank mates

entice59

i strongly agree with jakob4001, when i first started out my dad bought a condi anomie, and it ended up dieing and poisoning and killing my clams, my maroon clown NEVER went near it once, after it died, i got a bubble tipped anomie, its doing great, but i gotten it 3 months after my tank was built, my anomie is doing great and my clown has been happy ever since
Anyways, clowns dont need anomies, sure it looks cool but do some research, they are very sensitive creatures and should not be in a tank that was just cycled

S

sebae0

exactly what he said, you need to get more lighting and let the tank mature more before you try anemones or you gonna waste alot of money and anemones

zibnata

thanks for all the info everyone. The problem where I live is that there is only a couple of aquarium stores , and all the info they tell me conflicts with what I read. I don't even know what type of anenome it is. It's about 4" in diameter, tentacles are a grayish white with purple tips and the bottom is yellow. It seams to move it's tentacles around when the lights are off.It hasn't moved since I got it about 5 days ago. When the lights come on it is still. Any guesses? Should i take the anemone back to the pet store ?

I would take the anemonie back to the fish store...insist that they take it back. You dont need to have them for your clown. Mine is very happing living in my green open brain....he also likes my frogspawn. They will "host" to what ever they find they like. Like evryone else said, they are very hard to keep and not even the most experienced reefers can keep them. HTH.

buzz

Once again, this boils down to what you WANT to do. People quickly take the stance of what is NEEDED or NOT needed, and avoid the issue of what you WANT to get.
I don't believe condy's are typically host anemone's, so it really doesn't surprise me that anyone's clown didn't take to one.
Certain clowns are more apt to taking to certain anemone's. However, yes, it is true that there are no guarantees that any clown will take to an anemone. There are many compatibility charts available. Here is one:
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/san...patibility.htm
Personally, I have a very large BTA. I put it in my 29g after it was set up for a couple of months. My tomato clown took right to it, and they have been inseparable ever since. Now, 5 months later, it has grown substantially, and is now in my 60g as of this weekend, happy as can be.
Anemone's such as BTA's greatly benefit from having a clown. They offer protection, and assist with feeding as well.
If you have the setup for it, and want an anemone, I say go for it. They need good lighting, and meaty foods in addition to filter foods, as well as good circulation.
The only thing I would currently criticize is that you didn't do any homework on this before you jumped in. Anemone purchasing should not be done hastily. And the fact that you don't even know what kind you have is concerning. But now you're in it, so......research, research, research!!!

rich1515

There are so many opinions on what will and what won't work for a tank. Ultimatley, it falls to your own trial and error. I am SO lucky that my LFS is owned by one person and she is the only one that I have ever dealt with. Which is why I think that I have never had a problem with my tank.
I have been to the other two LFS's in my area and both times I have felt the pressure when you stand in front of a tank to long to look at something that catches your eye and the sales person will tell you ANYTHING to get you to buy it...
Salesperson: "You have a 75 gallon? Oh, blue whales are perfect for 75's. As a matter of fact, I have one in a 20 gallon at home..."
WHATEVER!