Anemones and light?

rod buehle

Originally Posted by jcarr18
http:///forum/post/3085266
Do they all need strong lighting and flow/????
The answeres you get will (or should ) vary because there are a number of hosting species of anemones, and most have different requirements.
The basic and most common answer would be yes
but again, different species... And also different tank conditions/set-ups.... (do you use glass tops, do you use carmon, are you running nitrate factories, do you feed..) way too many variables
Some anemones will require more water flow than most can provide (giganteas, h.magnifica) and most anemones will need more than what most people think.
certain anemones are often found in tide pools even exposed at low tide. They will want to be blasted with light and also flown (S.gigantea). Some ore collected in deep flats of sand beds away from the reef, and will need less light and flow S. hadoni). Some are at the tip of a reef crest and will be blasted with flow (H.magnifica), some are found tucked into crevasses (E.quadricolor) on the back side, or in lagoons.. Too many variables..

mr.clownfish

some anemones are diffrent. i bought a condy anemone about 7 months ago and i kept it under 2X25watts of PC's. everyone said that it will get unhealthy and slowly die in about 4 months. but its still going strong becuase i feed it once every 2-3 days. and it has grown its HUGE. it poops alot more but i dont mind cause i do a water change every 2 weeks. i also add microvert and phytoplex to my water. it is kind of getting a greenish tint to its tentacles. i really like the way its looking. and also its in a 12gal tank. anemones should not be kept in tanks smaller than 30gals but i am sussesful

i dont know i think im just lucky

so i think if ur lights are not strong enough then u have to feed it more offten. just my opinion.
oh and i have about medium flow on it.

jcarr18

I 'm not crazy about buying a new fixture and bulbs since I've spent alot of money up to this point. Are there some examples of anemones that will do well with moderate to low lighting. I'm currently running a 92 gal corner tank with a nice amount of live rock, 2 clowns, 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 hippo, 1 cleaner shrimp, and approx 10-12 hermit crabs. I have 2 30 watt T8 marine and power glo bulbs

mr.clownfish

try a condy.
i have a condy in my 12gal nano with 2x24 power compacts.
ur lights are much better than mine. but u have to place it as close as u can to the top. and feed it like once every 2-3days

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3087337
try a condy.
i have a condy in my 12gal nano with 2x24 power compacts.
ur lights are much better than mine.
I totally disagree. Setup for setup your lights are much stronger because of the size of your tank (12g) vs the 92g tank.

oceansidefish

Agreed with 2x24w PC's in a 12g you are getting 4 watts per gallon while the op is getting about .5 watts per gallon. IMO even mushrooms will not thrive in that low of lighting. A condy will not live long.

mpkev31b

Originally Posted by saltwatersubie
http:///forum/post/3085280
They don't really like too much flow but yes they do need MH's. I wouldn't attempt them with any other type of lighting.
nothing but MH's? so untrue.
i have PC's and have had 2 anems over a month now doing great. and getting bigger. a hatian pinktip and a bulb.
mh arnt needed IMO. unless you have super light sensative corals.
and besides how many people can afford thousands of dollars on MH's plus the bulb's not i thats for sure.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by mpkev31b
http:///forum/post/3093032
nothing but MH's? so untrue.
i have PC's and have had 2 anems over a month now doing great. and getting bigger. a hatian pinktip and a bulb.
mh arnt needed IMO. unless you have super light sensative corals.
and besides how many people can afford thousands of dollars on MH's plus the bulb's not i thats for sure.
I have seen anemones take well over a year to slowly starve because of lack of zooxanthallae being produced because of lack of light. A month is NOTHING.. six months is a tiny hurdle/step.. post pics of your anemones, now, and then again a year from now..
Some species will need MH because they wander in search of point source lighting (H.magnifica). Others will need the power/punch of the MH to punch through to a sand bed where light lovers such as S.gigantea reside..
Sure some anemones can do will with stronger florescent type lighting (T-5,PC,VHO) such as a BTA, but for the most part would do better with halides.
If you cant afford the proper lighting for the proper animals, you will need a different hobby, or need to keep different animals.
Also, the cost of MH bulbs is cheaper in the long term.. not as many bulb to replace, and not needed to replace as often.
And a simple MH retrofit, can often be just as cheap as a florescent fixture. Wspecially if you are the handy type