anemones are taking over!!!!!!!!!

otto13

i started to notice these small anemones on my live rock. well, now i have about 50 of them and they are bigger than my fish. they guy at the store says they are glass or rock anemones and to get rid of them. how....?
when i try to grab them, they go back into the rock. the ones i do grab, break and grow back. the ones i have killed spread a gross film in the tank. i need real help.

mr . salty

I'm not sure but you could try lowering the salinity in the tank.This does kill inverts.But if you have corals,or good inverts it will do them in also.You could do it in a separate tank.Like the opposite of a hospital,a DEATH tank. STEVE

corky

Go to www.reefs.org/hhfaq/ . Look under the heading "Anemones"(I think they are the first listing under that topic). I picked a few off some live rock and added 2 peppermint shrimp and suddenly it's all gone (at least for now).

tjswanson

Butterfly fish will eat glass anenomies. I would go get a butterfly fish and see if he'll eat them. But, I would do some research about which one to get,a threadfin would be a good choice. TJ

otto13

wow, peppermint shrimp may be the ticket. will give it a try. does anyone know if they will effect my live rock or coral.....
lee

krazzydart

get a few pepermint shrimp.... or hard way is to take boiling water and use a seringe and shoot it in the thing..... but use the first it is easeier.....

angel eyes

hey otto, if you can go to the library or maybe your lfs and see if they have a copy of Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, the april 2000 issue. It has a 5pg article on this very problem. The enemy most recommended in this article were hermit crabs. the more common Red Legged (Hairy) Hermit Crab to be exact bcuz it is an almost-all-the-time reef-safe animal. 2 should work wonders.. Perppermint Shrimp can be great glass anemone muchers but they sometimes move on to zoanthids/polps. Be careful if you have other anemones..hope this helps.