Anemones eat fish?

missnano

I was planning on getting one a bit later when my tank is more stable, but when i was asking questions about them. ya know just getting the 411, he said, "oh you dont want that they eat fish, and move all over the tank and destroy it!" I am talking about a long tentacle anemone btw. I have never herd that before, is it true?

mr.clownfish

ALL anemones eat fish.
your fish instinctively know not to touch it, but sometimes they are not careful and get captured.

mr.clownfish

oh and they dont destroy tanks.
unless they die, worst possible thing that can happen in this hobby related to nitrates.

btldreef

What size is your tank? A LTA really doesn't belong in a nano a bubble tip or another smaller nem would be better.
Anemones can eat fish. Most do not. As for moving all over your tank, they will move, until they find a place they are happy, then they're pretty much set.

lmecher

I have been Keeping btas and mini carpets for years, never lost a fish yet. If an anemone dies in your tank it is the amonia spike that could cause a problem in your tank. Larger species of carpet anemones are known for eating fish, and some crabs, snails just about anything that wanders it's way. Any anemone has the ability to eat a fish, I believe your risk is minimal with either bta or lta. Is your tank large enough so your fish can easily swim freely and avoid it. You can use moonlites as well so they don't stumble into it in the darkness. Don't rely on what your told, many LFS sales people are uninformed. Try google or wetwebmedia search on the species your interested in, loads of reliable information out there.

hunt

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3228640
What size is your tank? A LTA really doesn't belong in a nano a bubble tip or another smaller nem would be better.
Anemones can eat fish. Most do not. As for moving all over your tank, they will move, until they find a place they are happy, then they're pretty much set.
BTA's get around 1' as an audult, they shouldnt be kept in a tank smaller than 30g.

wangotango

Yes but when they split instead of having one 12" anemone you have two 6" anemones, so they still take up a lot of space unless you remove the clone.
Carpets are nasty, but BTAs are pretty docile in comparison. Not to say they can't eat a fish, but it's a lot less likely.

lmecher

MissNano~
Are you considering an anemone for your 12g. nano? If so reconsider, it just too small. If you are still considering one despite the warning than...Don't get one, it will eat all your fish and kill your corals

flower

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3228622
ALL anemones eat fish.
your fish instinctively know not to touch it, but sometimes they are not careful and get captured.

This is the closest answer I agree with. A fish needs room to get away from and swim around the anemone. In close quarters the chance of the fish escaping gets lower. Anemones grow fast and a LTA can really reach across a tank.
I had a 90g and a LTA, at first no problems, but in a year my fish began missing, I came home one morning to find my copper banded butterfly in it. The anemone didn't even eat it, just stung it to death and spit it out.
I won't put another in my tank again. They sure are pretty, it seems the cooler the critter the more deadly it is in a tank.