Anemones Questions....

Ok i have a 55 gal long with a 4" DSB and Nova Extremem Pros ( 6 x 54, 3-10000k and 3-acentics) My filtration is an Eheim 2217 but soon to be a sump when i figure out the details on how to set one up.
In the mean time im hoping to aquire a Anemones as well as a torch or frogspawn. I have the lights i believe, the Nova Pros are T5 HO with individual reflectors. Im just curious on the everyday needs of an Anemones as well as what i can do to help them flourish. I know spot feeding weekly is good. I also understand lighting is everything...i think my HO's will be ok. Any info is welcomed also some suggestions on types would really help. Thanks in advance cannot wait to know more....

vincent6396

I have that fixture too, switch out all the bulbs (read that they aren't that good for par). I have sps,lps, soft corals and a rbta. It's halfway up the tank and have been growing bigger by the day. Bought it 2 months ago about 6-7in now at 10-12in. Was feeding daily but now everyother day. You'll be fine with a bta but other nems I'm not sure as I haven't tried it yet.

spiderwoman

You need to have a more established tank than you have right now. Wait a few months and you should be good to go. You don't need to feed an anemone unless your light is insufficient. Definitely do not feed them every day or even every other day. You can kill an anemone by overfeeding it.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Shaun Larlee
http:///forum/post/2611219
sounds good spidey i trust you...a few months it is
but i still want one and my lights are good

Not sure it's a good idea to trust me
but you won't regret waiting. Get a nice RBT for your clowns.

wait a few months before you get an anemone (i also agree with an rbta, theyre more expensive, but look cooler than regular btas). your lights are fine for an anemone, and anything else you would want to get. also, if you do at all, dont feed your anemone often. they can grow very fast and take over the tank that way. google bubble tip anemone and click on the reefland forum link. scroll down until you see the pic. (sorry if im not supposed to say that, swf)

lmecher

The people telling you to wait are right. If you can hold off at least a month or 2 it will give your anemone a much better chance for survival. Research bubble tips and read the forums, you'll come across many people who have problems and you will learn a lot about what not to do. The number 1 mistake people make is add one to a new tank. Here is a great site with loads of info and great photos. : )
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

karensanemones

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2611177
You need to have a more established tank than you have right now. Wait a few months and you should be good to go. You don't need to feed an anemone unless your light is insufficient. Definitely do not feed them every day or even every other day. You can kill an anemone by overfeeding it.
Spiderwoman.
The advice you gave on not feeding an anemone is not true.
They must be fed just like all of our creatures.
They can not live on Light alone, so please,
feed your anemones the proper food, IE, Silversides, and or raw shrimp once a week to keep them happy and healthy.
They catch many fish and floating critters in the ocean and survive to live for many many years.
Not feeding them in our tanks is a death sentence for them, or any of the animals kept in our tanks.
Karen

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by karensanemones
http:///forum/post/2613852
Spiderwoman.
The advice you gave on not feeding an anemone is not true.
They must be fed just like all of our creatures.
They can not live on Light alone, so please,
feed your anemones the proper food, IE, Silversides, and or raw shrimp once a week to keep them happy and healthy.
They catch many fish and floating critters in the ocean and survive to live for many many years.
Not feeding them in our tanks is a death sentence for them, or any of the animals kept in our tanks.
Karen
Please read my post thoroughly. I clearly state that UNLESS YOUR LIGHT IS NOT SUFFICIENT. They catch floating food in the water column as well.

hlcroghan

I have read a lot about anemones as I absolutely adore them and almost every good site that I have gone to says that they also need to eat live matter protein-wise. I think that Karen was right in saying that you do need to feed them as well as give them good lighting. Just my .02.

karensanemones

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/2616864
I have read a lot about anemones as I absolutely adore them and almost every good site that I have gone to says that they also need to eat live matter protein-wise. I think that Karen was right in saying that you do need to feed them as well as give them good lighting. Just my .02.
Absolutely, even if your lights are brand new and the right wattage and spectrum, they still need food, what floats around in the tank is not good enough for the anemone.
Feeding them silversides is what they need to stay happy and healthy.
Never depend on lighting to keep any anemone happy.
Spiderwoman, if you will visit my site you will see that I do know a few things about anemones and their care.
www.karensroseanemones.com

perfectdark

I am by far not questioning anyones expertise in this hobby. However if there is one important thing I have learned it is, there are no absolutes. I have read many instances where hobbiests who kept BTA's under intense lighting do not feed them for months on end, and have success. Not months but years of success. Personally I can attest that I have not fed my RBTA for over 3 months and has grown significantly. It is not stressed I have had it for over a year and it hasent moved from its spot in 4 months. These are all indications of a healthy happy specimen. It is also noted by many aquariests that too frequent feedings will cause the anemone to stress and split. In fact this method of forcing a split was written in an online article. Feed it small pieces of food every other day for 2 weeks and this can most often provoke a split. Now it is my opinion that with sub par lighting, poor water quality etc that these animals need to be fed regularly. It is also my opinion that to avoid predation in some species that its a good idea to keep them fed. But IMO frequent feedings under high quality parameters is not necessary.

rod buehle

Well said PD! I have some experience with anemones ;-) and I dont feed them directly at all. I do feed my fish heavily enough that the anemones do receive small particles that get past the fish. I am also sure that they get natural feedings in my systems from the pods, etc. In younger systems with less pods, letting some food get past the fish to the anemone, or letting your fish store some morsels in the anemone is a good idea, but I would never force a silverside down their throat. When gut contents is studied from wild anemones, its almost always pods and almost never fish or larger crustations. Even in our tanks the only known fish eater is the hadoni. It usually takes more energy to digest such large hunks that what the anemone will benefit from.