Anemones

danscorp

HI, I am trying to start a salt water tank for the first time.(20 gallons) I plan to have two clown fish and a couple of invertabrates. Ive read a lot about clown fish and saltwater tanks and they all seem to say the same, " CLown fish are good for begginers and anemones are not recommended because they are hard to take care of" but I still have questions that have not been answered.
Are anemones really as hard to take care of as I hear, or are there easy and difficult types of anemones to take care of?
OR
Is there a substitute to anemones such as plastic or rubber anemones (for people like me who actually want one)?

O

ogdog30

anenomies are only hard to take care of IME because of the lighting (4 watts per gallon) , feeding was always easy to take care of (turkey baster) if u want more info post this in the clownfish and anenomies.
sorry if i didnt help

mbrands

Most LFS sell fake anemonies. Also, realize that not all clowns will host with the anemonie you provide.

mbrands

I've seen a post on here in which someone's clown did host in a fake anemonie . . . so it is possible. I'm not sure how likely it is to happen though.

trebor126

I have also seen and read, that some clowns will host in harry mushroom / ricordia corals.
These types of coral do not require as much light as some anemones.
Just a thought

trebor126

I have also seen and read, that some clowns will host in harry mushroom / ricordia corals.
These types of coral do not require as much light as some anemones.
Just a thought

danscorp

IN the wild, Clown Fish swim around in an Anemone for protecion, when it uses the anemone it is hosting to it