Anemones

tlubinski3

I am considered putting some anemone in my 55 gal. All my fish are reef compatible. I have many snails as well as one arrow crab. Will I have any problems with the arrow crab? Also, can someone tell me some tips to keeping anemones? I am considering the cheaper ones. Under $15. I think they are awesome and would like to have some. I have a 55g with sand. Any tips or warnings? Thanks for the info.

joojoo

How long has the tank been running and what kind of lights do you have? Anemone require pristine water conditions with as little fluctuations as possible. They also need Metal Halide lights.

tlubinski3

The tank has been running for about 2 yrs and I changed to sand about a month ago and the water conditions are good. I do not have the light you speak of. I am a college student and bought my light from a saltwater store. It is for saltwater fish, plants, and inverts. It is from the aqua-glo series. I can't afford a $200+ light at the moment.

joojoo

Did you just buy the bulbs to put into a regular 55 tank hood? Or the lights you bought came with their own hood? How many watts?

tlubinski3

I bought the bulb seperately. I believe it is an 8000k or 10000k. I will not be home until the weekend so I can not check. How would that fair?

browniebuck

I have a pink tip haitian in my 55 gallon with 260 watts of Power compact. It has been doing very well for over 2 months now (I know that isn't the longest time, but that is how long it has been in there). From all that I have seen and read, the pink tip's and the condi anemone's are rather easy to keep and don't require as intense lighting. If you are planning on getting one to host a clown, most of the pink tips and condi's won't readily host them (mine hosts an anemone crab, but the maroon clown won't go anywhere near it)
Hope that helps

joojoo

Condylactis sp. are actually one of the more light demanding species. Bubble Tips and Long Tentacles are considered "lower light" but thrive under MH.

am00re34

it sounds like you just have the common florecent bulbs. those will not work well w/ an Anemone. Before you do that you need to invest the money in PC at a min. T-5's or MH are preferred.