anemones

tallyho

I have had fairly good success with 250 wat metal halide.I have had a large (18 " in diameter) carpet almost 2 years now.

dragoon

What type of tank setup do you have at the moment and how much money are you willing to spend. PC's are good enough for most anemones, but you will need to feed them two to three times weekly to make sure they get enough food to supplement the lower lighting. Definetly PC's at teh least and anywhere up from there and your good. Try for around 3 watts per gallon though this is just a rough estimate without knowing your setup and such.

dragoon

If you are planning to just do softies and anemones, or just the anemones and clowns I would go with a nice set of PC's. No reason to worry about evaporation and heat with the Halides. Although if you want a pimp system go with the halides with VHO actinic supplemental lighting. It all varies in the long run. I myself have a 75 Reef of mostly softies, and anemones.
My Lighting consists of a Coralife Deluxe Aqualight 4 x 65 watt PC's two 10,000k and two actinic witha total of 260 watts for this fixture( you can get it for around $190.00 + or - ). Also I have a 48" flourescent double striplight with 2 x 40 watt actinics to a total of 80 watts. Not a lot of light but enough to get you by and the Zoo's, Cups, anemones, ricordea, colt, ect... love it. Then again I am in the process of upgrading to a lighting system recently purchased from one of my friends. It is a 350 watt halide 110 watt VHO system(retails: around $400.00-$550.00) that I'm sure will rock. I'm merely waiting until I have enough money to buy the VHO bulbs.