anemones

donna2933

I have a 75 gal. reef and I cannot keep anemones alive. The only one I have any luck with is a carpet, all the sebae's I have bought have died. I cannot find anything wrong with water conditions and I am using 2 (40 watt) full spectrum lights and 1 blue. I use a protein skimmer and have plenty of water circulation. What is the problem?

mr . salty

80 watts of light over a 75gallon tank is not enough light for them. You should have 4-5 watts per gallon. Anemones require rather intense lighting..........STEVE

donna2933

Originally posted by MR . SALTY:
80 watts of light over a 75gallon tank is not enough light for them. You should have 4-5 watts per gallon. Anemones require rather intense lighting..........STEVE

I have 120 watts on the tank, but what is the least inexpensive way to get the proper lighting without spending 700-800 dollard. I have a full canopy over my tank and it would have to be some type of strip. I could add another strip (making it 4) on the tank, however, that woud still only be 160 watts.

mr . salty

The best way to get alot of watts in a small package is metal halite. One bulb will more than double your wattage. Look for a retro kit,then mount the bulb where it will fit under the hood. STEVE

donna2933

Originally posted by MR . SALTY:
The best way to get alot of watts in a small package is metal halite. One bulb will more than double your wattage. Look for a retro kit,then mount the bulb where it will fit under the hood. STEVE

Mr. Salty
I could not find a retro kit in my aquarium catalogs, isis listed under something else? I have a full canopy, so will this light have to be hung? I was trying to stay away from hanging anything from ceiling and was trying to find something that could be used on top of aquarium. I just bought a double strip and already had a single. I want to try to have just one item that will give me the wattage I need instead of having several different things. I know I need a lot of light for the reef and I am not up to par on any other lighting except the 40 watt. Thanks for your help.

mr . salty

If the "hood" you have is a plastic factory perfecto type you will probably have to upgrade to something with more room. Thats the advantage to having a canopy style like mine. Retro kits are quite common, try looking at http://www.championlighting.com They have just about evry combination of lights you could immagine. STEVE

jabberjaws

I just built a canopy for my 55 and bought 2 shoplite light strips from home depot 48 inch long. They hold 2 40watt bulbs a piece which puts me at 160 watts, do you think this will be enough light for some coral. I run 2 daylight and 2 actinic blues in there. I hope so, the tank looks beautiful under all the light. And I cannot fit another strip under there. But with a 75 you could. ---ROSS

badboy822

You can get a highoutput ballast @ home depot for about $25.00. That will run 2 bulbs. Then getthe vho lights @ lfs which are 110 watts. If you set up 2 of these that would give you 440 watts. That would at least get you closer. Craig

donna2933

Originally posted by donna2933:
I have 120 watts on the tank, but what is the least inexpensive way to get the proper lighting without spending 700-800 dollard. I have a full canopy over my tank and it would have to be some type of strip. I could add another strip (making it 4) on the tank, however, that woud still only be 160 watts.

What is the least wattage I could use that would be enough for the anemonies, corals @ etc? I just added a compact 110 watt, plus the double strip @ 80 watts ( 1 blue and 1 full spectum). At 3 watts per gallon I would be about 35 watts short.

bbrook

I was looking at those VHO ballasts from Home Depot and wondering what the difference was between them and the specialty ballasts from places like Icecap? Does anyone know or have experiences?
Would love the input before I spend $400 for high end stuff that I could get at other places for less.

mr . salty

I'm going to look into those cheaper ballasts this weekend. If no other opinion has been offered,I'll tell ya what I think. STEVE

mr . salty

What you will be looking for is a higher wattage per bulb than the NO output. Your regular bulbs will probably not work with this higher output ballast.You will also need to match the wattage of the bulbs. STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 09-08-2000).]