aneneome shriveld and dark..

socko6774

got her about a month ago.. had my tank set up for 3 months. all levels are 0
ph 8.3, salt at 1.023.
lighting= 65w 10k, 65w actinic 420, 65 w 50/50 run about 11 12 hours a day
anywho.... aneneome was looknig good up until about a week ago.. wouldnt fully open, tenticals looked shriveled up, then it started to move around my tank, wouldnt open at all.. now its undera rock, and it looks dark, no lonker pinkisk, and i see slime near it.. it opens up alittle every now and then.. what should i do??? is it too late to save it??
it use to loook like this..

now it looks like this...

socko6774

Originally Posted by onyxclown
hows ur levels???? maybe ammonia,nitrite or nitrate
amm=0
nitrite=o
nitrate=0

rcdude1990

thats wat mine does do
only it stays in one spot, its not under a rock(in the dark) this happend to me wen my lights r off
plz help us out!

onyxclown

mine us to do the same also but sometimes its the levels at night they actually usually shrivel and when u turn on ur lights there all shrivled.

I had the same thing happen to me. They both died this way. I would recommend returning it back to the store.
They recommend a tank be set up a min of 1 year before introducing them to a system. They also require excellent water conditions. Even though your water tests great, may be to soon to have one. I waited for 1 year and have no issues with mine. :thinking:

rykna

What else is in the tank? When I got my first anemone, a curly Q, it did the same thing. After doing some research I discovered that it was fighting with other tank mates. It didn't like my torch coral. Nor did it like my sebae anemone. Do you see any mucus coming out of the tentatacle tips??? This would be sure signs of chemical war going on.

rykna

Other thought. Some pet stores practice the horribe art of bleaching anemones to nake them loke better. This kills all of the host algae that lives on them. They need it for survival. If an anemone has been bleached, there is little chance of survival.

socko6774

Originally Posted by Rykna
What else is in the tank? When I got my first anemone, a curly Q, it did the same thing. After doing some research I discovered that it was fighting with other tank mates. It didn't like my torch coral. Nor did it like my sebae anemone. Do you see any mucus coming out of the tentatacle tips??? This would be sure signs of chemical war going on.

it looks like slime is coming out of him, but not the tentecals.. i have a clown , 2 pj cardinals and a lawnmower bleeny, i did catch my coral banded shrimp picking at him today, as well as my cleaner shrimp.... i think hes a gonner :(

rykna

Yep he's fighting with somebody. What other types of coral to you have in the tank. How close are they too the anemone. What size is your tank?

rykna

Not nessicesrily a goner. Do you have black carbon? If so pack one of you filters with it. Do a 25% water change. Do you have a hospital tank?????
Anything that will hold a couple of gallons of water? You have got to seperate him from what ever he is fighting with and take the stress off of him.
My curly Q recovered. It took almost 2 weeks to get him back. There is hope as long as the anemone has some tentacles inflated with water. Do small water changes every hour or so to clear the hospital of the chemical mucus. Once the little guy relizes there no one in the tank but himself, he'll stop spitting chemicals. Once this stops you can stop the water changes, but keep the carbon in the filters. Make sure to keep feeding the little guy, a couple brine shrimp everyday. Just like us, when your sick youstill need nutrients. With out food the anemone will just get weaker. Even if you have to stuff it in his mouth. Just a few brine shrimp.
It will be a few days before it starts perking up. Keep us posted!!!

reckler

if it hasn't melted it's not a gonner yet. you could possibly save it. try to move it somewhere in the tank where it is isolated from other tank mates. if you don't have another tank to move it too.

socko6774

i have no other corals in there and there is nothing near him. unless its the shrimp he's fighting with... im gonna move him to a small Q tank with a peice of rock.. thanks for the advice peeps!

rykna

Good Luck. Sure is a pretty anemone. Keep us updated!

Oh....do flush the main tank with carbon to remove the nasty chemiclas from the anemone. Do you have some?

socko6774

Good Luck. Sure is a pretty anemone. Keep us updated!

Oh....do flush the main tank with carbon to remove the nasty chemiclas from the anemone. Do you have some?
carbon filter?? yes i do , i guess i should replace it??

rykna

Definately!!!!!!! Put and NEW one in ASAP!!!!!!!!! If you have multiple filters replace all the carbon filters with new ones right away!!!!! Do you have the anemone in a hospital tank now?

socko6774

Definately!!!!!!! Put and NEW one in ASAP!!!!!!!!! If you have multiple filters replace all the carbon filters with new ones right away!!!!! Do you have the anemone in a hospital tank now?
yep. will a rinse do or just put in new carbon.. i think i have enough carbon for 1 bag. i have 2 seperatye bags of carbon.

rykna

If it were me I would rinse what was in the filters, and then devide the new carbon up and add it to both filters, and then fill the rest with the rinsed carbon. Hows the little guy doing?