Anenome feedings

mal

I would think if it did not want to feed, it would let the chow float off. Every other day sounds good if he eats it and looks healthy. I have read the more you feed, the more likely it is to reproduce / clone. My BTA split twice when I was feeding it every day. Now I feed once a week and it has not split. Feed it a lot and see if you can get it to split. I do not think anemones are capable of getting enough food from the water column in our tanks to survive for any length of time. I am a firm believer in feeding my fish, corals and anemones. I'd rather deal with nitrates and water changes than dying animals.

jonthefb

i agree that if you try to overfeed an anemone he will most likely regurgitate any undigested portion of the food. at least this is wat has happened IME. every other day is good, but you might cut back to like twice a week. this is what i shoot for.
good luck
jon

diane4

Originally Posted by mal
I would think if it did not want to feed, it would let the chow float off. Every other day sounds good if he eats it and looks healthy. I have read the more you feed, the more likely it is to reproduce / clone. My BTA split twice when I was feeding it every day. Now I feed once a week and it has not split. Feed it a lot and see if you can get it to split. I do not think anemones are capable of getting enough food from the water column in our tanks to survive for any length of time. I am a firm believer in feeding my fish, corals and anemones. I'd rather deal with nitrates and water changes than dying animals.
I couldn't agree more. I used to feed a target food once a day, but he did spit some out. Now I offer a target meaty food every 2-4 days and he never throws it back up.
The other day I fed him a couple small fish, he luv'd it. I feed him raw shrimp too. Sometimes clam meat. They prefer softer meat food though.
I am also a big proponant of weekly water changes, often I do a 20-40% change. As long as the salinity, PH and temp are the same as the display tank, you are fine. My reef animals go nuts with it, they love big water changes, in fact my tomatoe clownfish spawn every time I do a water change.
I have my BTA growing and thriving as a host anemone for the 2 clownfish. And, I have the tank in 5 watts per gallon of pc coral life lunar lighting - no metal halide. They are in the center of the tank, and they are very healthy. When i get the lens covers for my camera, I will take some pics to show you.
I couldn't agree with you more. In the wild, anemones have more opportunity to feed with material swimming by or floating by or the clowns bringing food back. In a closed tank system, they have nothing coming by except what you feed.
It is great to read someone's post that believes in feeding their anemone fairly regularly and doing decent water changes.
I have no idea why saltwater folks believe that the weekly water changes should only be about 10% or bi-weekly 20%, except for the obvious price of the salt mixes and trouble to make up the water and get the params right. From my experience, my fish and verts love the water changes.