anenome food

efrank

For lighting divide watts by the # of g in your tank you need at least 2.5 watts per g to keep one. The more the better.
Feed it silversides or small pieces of raw shrimp from the grocery store.

HOW DO THEY FEED THROUGH THERE TENTACLES? OR IN THE MIDDLE WHERE THERE IS A SMALL TINY OPENING? THEY ARE FILTER FEEDERS I THOUGHT THEY FEED VIA THEERE TENTACLES? OR WHAT EVER THE PROPER VERNACULAR IS FOR THOS THINGS!@

jacksonpt

Anemones are NOT filter feeders. They are photosynthetic, which means they need strong lighting. They absorb the light and turn it into energy. Anemones are also carnivores... eating small fish and what not. Scalops, shrimp, silversides, etc are good food for anemones, but they are by no means substitue for good lighting. 2.5w per gallon and you'll have a chance... but shoot for 4w per gallon... assuming everything else is in order.

ky

Brian
Anemone are not a trial and error sort of thing. Besides the fact that there are a limited number of them, they are also very expensive. I give you credit for asking questions on a forum, but buy a book or two and learn about them before you buy another one. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but there are so many posts from people with dying anemone simply because they don't educate themselves before they buy one. Make sure that everything in your tank is OK before you buy one. Good luck.

crissykat9

i have a few anenomes and they are doing fine. i feed them silversides and brine shrimp . they also eat alot os other food i put in the tank for the fish. i have had my enemomes for about a year now. i have had no trouble so far. :D

wrassecal

I feed my bubble tip anemone by taking a turkey baster and placing a couple tiny pieces of shrimp or squid or whatever fish is in my 4$ Wal Mart bag of frozen seafood in it's tentacles. I do it about once a week. I alway feed my other fish and shrimp at same time to keep them busy and away from the anenome. Tonight for the first time my tomato clown who lives in the anenome zipped over grabbed a piece of squid from other side of the tank and brought it back over and fed it to the anenome! Then the clown zipped back over to the food and started eating. It was so cool. :D