anenome looks deflated

jbone

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for an atlantic anenome to deflate and pull back its tenticals back into its body. Mine has been doing fine since i got new 130w pc's on my 30 gal tank. Then i did a water change and the next day he looks like he is deflated.

escape2thewater

How much of a water change? How long did you mix/age it? How long have you had the anenome & how old is the tank? Sorry for all the ?'s but more info will help you get more answers.:)
Kyle
:happyfish

jbone

I've had the tank for 1 1/2 years now and the anenome for about 3 weeks. I did about a 20% water change and I did not age the water (not quite sure what you mean), but I mixed for about 15-20 min. The anenome did this last time i did a water change and came right back about a day later, i just would like to know if this is normal behavior. Appriciate any help you can give me.:notsure:

escape2thewater

You will find that most here actually mix thier SW for several days before adding to the tank, hence "aging the water". I actually mix mine for about a week or so. This has many benefits from stabilizing ph & general water quality. You will find if you mix your water even just overnight it will be far less stressful to everything in your tank. Thats prob why your anenome has closed up like that. They are very sensitive to water quality & stability. HTH.
KYle

jbone

Thanks for the info. I just have a question. When you say to "age" the water, do I just mix it and let it sit in a bucket for a couple days, what about the water temp or circulation. Can I just Mix in a bucket and let it sit? Sorry seems like a dumb question, but i have never aged my water before.

escape2thewater

You will need to run a ph on there to keep it circulating. Also some use a heater to keep it about tank temp. Im in FL so I never have to use a heater though! Thats it, just mix & let it circulate for a few days. I always check the sg after a day or 2 b/c usually it will change as the water ages. Good luck!
Kyle
btw - keep it covered to prevent evaporation & contamination

sparky0028

JBone
I had two atlantic anenome's and they would deflate to the size of a half dollar. With in a few hours they would open up all the way, doing this several times a week. I think this is normal behavior and no cause for worry.
Sparky

buzz

Anemone's have only one opening. Thus, they take in food, and release waste through the same opening. When they release waste, they expel all the water, complete with the waste, and shrivel up. Then they inflate by sucking in fresh water.
Anemones do this regularly, so by itself it is not a concern. If it stays like that for more than a day or 2, it is possible it is rejecting the water quality.