anenome that sits still?

deejeff442

i was thinking of getting an anenome for my 90 reef .
it does not have fish in it yet.
just a dozen corals,snails,crabs and 3 big shrimp.
i am still planning the fish list .
i will definitly get a clown and would like to have an anenome for him to swim into.
i have had long tenticle anenomes before and found they are a pain to keep from moving and one nuked my tank getting caught in a ph.
this was a long time ago and with the new style ph i have like the koralias there wont be a problem getting sucked into the ph.
i am just worried about the corals i have getting stung.
is there a host anenome that will stay where you put it?
if not i wont get one but just like everyone i would love to watch the clown do his thing .

olemiss

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3068663
this was a long time ago and with the new style ph i have like the koralias there wont be a problem getting sucked into the ph.
I've had two different gbtas get destroyed by koralias. Just a heads up.

deejeff442

arent carpet anenomes the one you will see on here once in a while eating a fish.
i think someone posted a pic of thier carpet eating thier foxface.

flower

http:///forum/post/3068663
i was thinking of getting an anenome for my 90 reef .
it does not have fish in it yet.
just a dozen corals,snails,crabs and 3 big shrimp.
i am still planning the fish list .
i will definitly get a clown and would like to have an anenome for him to swim into.
i have had long tenticle anenomes before and found they are a pain to keep from moving and one nuked my tank getting caught in a ph.
i am just worried about the corals i have getting stung.
is there a host anenome that will stay where you put it?
if not i wont get one but just like everyone i would love to watch the clown do his thing .

Koralias are NOT safe, mine got sucked up three times already. I made a cover from black fiber filter and "sewed" it with clear fishline.
I now wish to get rid of the anemone...it eats fish. The clowns are fine without an anemone, they will host just about anything. Mine like a big shell I put ithe tank.

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3068803
arent carpet anenomes the one you will see on here once in a while eating a fish.
i think someone posted a pic of thier carpet eating thier foxface.
I have heard somewhere of clowns dragging fish into their carpet anemone.

hlcroghan

The key to getting anemones to stay put is creating the tank around them. First make sure you know what type of anemone you are getting and then make sure parameters and placement are ideal. My BTA never moved after I placed it which I am sure is partially lucky on my part, however, I placed prior to getting most of my corals into a rock that was centered in my tank. It has never moved it's foot although it does stretch up toward the light and may lean to the right or left. You have to be very aware of where your other corals are though. You would be amazed how much they stretch and expand. I have had to move my duncans twice because the anemone actually reached out to get them. And they do sting them badly. It took about two weeks for the duncan to heal in the places it was burned.

truperc

If the purpose of the anenome is for the clown to "do his thing", and movement is your concern, then I would suggest you get a coral that the clown will host.

melypr1985

what kind of corals do clown fish host? anything with tentacles? i saw a clown hosting hair algae! somebody posted a pic of it. quite interesting.

truperc

My clowns have tried to host a gorgonian and a torch. I know they have also hosted elegans and an assortment of others.
I know someone whose clowns hosted a coffee cup.
There is no set rules.

melypr1985

lol!
i just put a torch in my tank and i have a bubble. hopefully when i get my clown it will host one of them. after reading this thread i dont think i'll be putting an anemone in this tank.

outsdr2

I have a female and two male false percula. They have adopted a green star polyps its quite a sight to see them burying themselves in it. I have a anenome that they totally ignore. so there is no guarantees that a clown will marry an anemone. if you like I can take a video tomorrow of the interaction.

melypr1985

Originally Posted by TruPerc
http:///forum/post/3070223
My clowns have tried to host a gorgonian and a torch. I know they have also hosted elegans and an assortment of others.
I know someone whose clowns hosted a coffee cup.
There is no set rules.

heck yeah. that would be great. i hope to be getting my clown either this weekend or next. rent to pay you know!

M

mr.reef

i got a huge lta and i have two pairs of clowns in my 125g and they host the hairy shrooms right above the lta.. but wont come close to it...