Anenomes kill mandarins?

viet-tin

I would agree 100% they are beautiful, but wouldnt recommend them in smaller tanks. My 100 wasnt nearly as large enough for him and he walked around too much stinging everything in its path.

rick58

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
So it's considered a rare occurence when a fish gets stuck in an anemone?
Do clowns generally prefer a certain type of anenome? LTs?
Yes, different clowns prefer different types. There is no guarantee that any paricular clown will take to any anenome, even one that are that species preferred type. Some will wait years and then dive in... It's definitely hit and miss.

xdave

Do not keep pink tips (condi) with clownfish.Other than that, their actual preferences mean little in captivity.

reefkprz

if there is any one type of anemone not to keep to host your clown I would say tube anemone, I have seen them catch and eat a 2" healthy clownfish.

xdave

Originally Posted by viet-tin
Condis arent natural host for clowns but they have been known to host clowns.
Yes, and then they will kill them. Not have been known to kill them, will kill them. It's usually within 3 months.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by viet-tin
Condis arent natural host for clowns but they have been known to host clowns.
Not Clowns, because there are no Clownfish in the Caribbean. In the wild they do host other types of Damsels. I've seen this first hand in Cozumel and Bonaire.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by greenwolf52
Is this true? Anyone know? Any theories? :notsure:
I don't think Mandarins are being successfully bred in captivity yet, but I wonder how captive bred species would react to anemones. Do they instinctively know the danger?