Angel Nipping at Corals??

mathteacher

I have a midnight angel that I really like, but I think it might be bothering some of my corals. I have a pagoda cup coral that opened up really nice in the LFS, but it has been closed up pretty tight since I got it home a couple of days ago. I have also noticed that my clove polyps seem to be having trouble growing in certain areas of the tank. I don't see the angel bothering anything, but I everything else is a community fish--yellow tang, 7 blue chromis, bar goby, mandarin dragonet, tomato clown--and I have a Hawaiian blue zebra hermit and a sally lightfoot. From what I read I think it must be the angel, but does anyone else have any other thoughts??
Should I get rid of the angel if I want corals?

aquaknight

Few angels don't nip anything, slightly more nip everything, and most are somewhere in between. When keeping angels with corals, the chance is they will nip some of the corals. An owner basically has to weigh out if they like those specific corals more, or the angel. If the angel, it might be some experimenting to get the 'right' corals in the tank that the angel won't nip. There is also higher percentages of no-nip if an angel is added to an established reef tank, instead of adding corals with an angel already in there. The angel might be unwelcoming of the new addition, view it as food, etc.
As for the Midnight angel itself, they are actually some of the less prone angels to nip. I've come close to ordering a pair a few times for my reef tank.

flower

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3265583
Few angels don't nip anything, slightly more nip everything, and most are somewhere in between. When keeping angels with corals, the chance is they will nip some of the corals. An owner basically has to weigh out if they like those specific corals more, or the angel. If the angel, it might be some experimenting to get the 'right' corals in the tank that the angel won't nip. There is also higher percentages of no-nip if an angel is added to an established reef tank, instead of adding corals with an angel already in there. The angel might be unwelcoming of the new addition, view it as food, etc.
As for the Midnight angel itself, they are actually some of the less prone angels to nip. I've come close to ordering a pair a few times for my reef tank.

+1
My pagoda cup closed up and died after being open for two weeks…I think because my tank was kept warm and they like cooler temps, something not mentioned when I did my research until later I found another article on them.
If you are not seeing your fish nip, it may not be the fish that is causing your problem. Fish don’t care if you can see them, if they nip it will be right in front of you. I had a Hippo tang literally eat my Xenia to the nubs and they are called reef safe. I have a Hippo now that touches nothing, every fish is different.

ibanez

I would guess the pagoda will be fine, probably responding to light. My pagoda doesn't grow much because I have it under pc light but it is always open and loves when I target feed it. It seems to be very hardy in my experience. If you haven't observed the angel nipping at anything I wouldn't get rid of it. Make sure it has plenty of food and it should be fine.

gilbert

You say you got it a couple of days ago? Corals don't always open up right away. I've heard of it taking days or even a week+ to open up all the way.