angel or butterfly in a 20 long?

norway

can and or should it be done
specifically a flame angel or coral beauty.... or copper band butterfly
this 20 long has a 10 gal fuge so overall 30 gal water capacity

robchuck

The Copperband Butterfly will get too big for a 20L. Either of the angels are iffy, as they would appreciate more swimming room, but more importantly get most of their nutrition from live rock, so you would need to make sure you have enough LR balanced with enough swimming room to support one.
If you are dead set on a dwarf angel, take a look at Centropyge argi (Pygmy or Cherub Angel). They stay smaller than all other Centropyge angels, are very colorful, and full of personality.

stapler

Neither of them or suitable for that size tank. If they are quarter size...than they might be fine for a while...but whats the point...they will just outgrow the tank and wont have enough swimming room.
IMO...you should look into other fish. I have a 30g and wouldnt even think of putting those fish in it.

nudibranch

IMO...if you HAVE to do an angle Centropyge argi (Pygmy or Cherub Angel as noted above) is the only option, otherwise I wouldn't do it.
Personally, I wouldn't attempt either.

norway

robchuck....thankyou for your very polite and informative response.
stapler....it was a question, no need to get fuffy. i do care about the well being of my granimal friends. and not just in my house but also in the world. thats why i asked.....emphasis on the ask

nudibranch

i was looking through my fish books and came up with a few ideas for you. You could do a pair of Bangaii Cardinals (Pterapogon kauderni) or a pair of either Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica) or the Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora). You could also add to this mix a Shrimp Goby/Shrimp pair. HTH

pumpie

I agree with stapler and I didn't find his response rude,just an opposing opinion, but it's your tank and your money so....your decision. :)

nudibranch

I don't believe anyone intended to be rude, though I was re-reading my post and I see how it might have come off that way. Putting an Angel in a small or "nano" tank is a topic that tends to draw strong opinions from both sides. After working in LFS's for about 3 years (including one salt only) I've seen enough bad out comes w/ Dwarf Angels (Centropyge sp.) to the point where I would never try it for myself. I've also heard "success stories" of people keeping 5 Centropyge sp. in one tank :not sure: (a VERY bad idea IMO), but I only saw proof of the dead ones.

Someday I might consider a pygmy angel in a 20 but it would be a FO tank w/ LR. The agian, if I would going to do that I would probably just bump up to a 55 or 75 FO tank and have a decent community since most of the equipment would still be efficient or upgradeable for very little $$$ (also I'm more partial to the Flame Angel).

norway

nudibranch....i didnt think you were rude in any way. i didnt even think stapler was rude, i said fuffy....ha ha. some people almost sound like they would punch me in the face for asking simple questions. its not like i already have a show angel in my tank, plus my question does seem border line at this point. i would never declare anything here...im not experienced enough. i just like "out there" questions, they usually get a pretty broad range of answers.
about the goby's, i already have one yellow watchman (awesome little guy) and i do plan on getting a pistol shrimp for him later but i was asking about the dwarf angels because i really want to get a centerpeice for my tank and not another fish that darts in the closest hole every second it senses something or even worse...never comes out of the hole. goby's are cave dwellers. cardinals look like something out of a horror movie, also dwellers. thankyou for you kick ass research and responses. jared

nudibranch

:notsure: dammit...now your REALLY going to make me dig. You have any idea how many books I'm going to have to go through? LOL I'm going to come up woth something...just you wait...:)

jim27

I think you'd be fine putting one of the smaller dwarf angels in a 20L. Like a yellowtail(gets 2") or a cherub angel(gets 3"). I would stay away from some of the bigger dwarf angels like coral beauties and stuff though. Personally I had a cherub in my 20H for a while until it got sucked into the overflow and chewed up by the return pump in the sump. I'm planning on adding another soon.