angel question

mboswell1982

ok, i found an angel online last night on another site, and according to what i read on that site, its a pygmy yellowtail angel, and it only gets to 2" long max, and can be kept in a small school consisting of 1male and several females, and is one of the only angels that have been bred in captivity.
now, my question is this, does anyone have any experience whatsoever with this angelfish? and if so, what can you tell me about it, pros and cons, i just wanna find out all that i can daggumit an its upsetting that i cant find any other info on him LOL
thank you for your time folks
mike

mboswell1982

here's the only info i have been able to find on this fish
Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish
(Centropyge flavicauda)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Lighting: High
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.020-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Blue, White
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Fiji
Family: Pomacanthidae
Reproduction: Egg Layer
Swim Level: All
+ View larger image
One of the smallest members of the Centropyge genus, the Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish rarely grows to over two inches. Also known as the Royal Blue Pygmy Angelfish, Damsel Angelfish, Whitetail Pygmy Angelfish, Pygmy Yellowfin, or Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish, its body and face are primarily blue and the caudal fin is white.
It requires a 30 gallon or larger tank with numerous hiding places and large amounts of live rock for grazing on microalgae. Not a good reef dweller, the Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles. It can be very territorial and will often kill other Dwarf Angels, and harass any docile fish.
One male and several females can be kept together. The Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish can be bred in an aquarium, but has no distinguishing characteristics that differentiate males from females.
The diet should consist of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis shrimp, and other meaty items.
Approximate Purchase Size: 1" to 2"
and here's a pic of him LOL sorry for the bad paint job, had to hurry up an cover up the logo from the site i found him on LOL

rotarymagic

we already went over this... they won't school especially in a small tank..
centropyge genus angels are very territorial.

mboswell1982

these are goin in the 168g tank thats 6' long :p im goin with a singly pygmy cherub in the 40g tank LOL
an i know we went over this last night LOL but ur the only person i have found, cause i cant find any sites really, that knows anything about em, an i did a search on here for em, an nothin, so i figured id ask everyone :p

aquaknight

We have one in our 90gal temp tank. Great fish, only the second fish I've ever nicknamed. His is "Full Throttle"
, named so because he's always zooming around the tank wide open (and the energy drink too
). IME, they are no different then other centropyge angels, except they stay smaller. If introduced at the same time, a social order will be formed and more then one will get along. Ours was added to the 90 with an established huge 4" brute of a Half-Black Angel. Some chasing at first, but they get along fine now, and Full Throttle now is taking names and dishing it out to some of the other fish (chalk basslets, yellowtail damsel). Just some light chasing to display dominance.
Rotary is correct, and very, very, few species of fish will constantly school in aquariums. They do it in the wild for safety, and when there's no predators in your aquarium, they become 'regular' fish. Some instinct will still exist, and if scared/spooked they fly together, but they won't be doing, what I think you're thinking you hope they will do.

mboswell1982

yeah, now, is that rue of the wrasses? cause im wantin to do a trio of em in the 40g tank, the multicolor lubbocks in that one, and then in the big tank, 5-6 of the longfins, 1 male, the rest females, in each, is that safe or no? they will all be added at the same time

aquaknight

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I've never kept those reef-safe wrasses. Personally not the biggest fan, most of them just seem like fancy freshwater fish. That said, I don't recall ever seeing a trio in something less then 75gals. It would seem too tight in a 40gal IMHO. If what I've seen, they really aren't a trio, but more like 3 fish that get along. And most of them, the male at least, still gets a good size, the males reaching at least 5" typically.
As far as aggressiveness and adding them, there are ones better then others. I have no idea which ones are good, but some are down right mean to other wrasses and some do great.

mboswell1982

im still halfway undecided on the wrasses in the 40g, but, according to the one side, they only get 3" max, so im not sure, but, they'll prolly be added after the angel, if we decide to go with them in the long run

mboswell1982

and im with ya man, im really hopin someone else will chime in, im really likin the look of thoe lil angelfish and really hope i can keep more than 1 in a 168g tank LOL

majestic987

I say try it out, you probobally will try eventually anyway the hobby is addicting, and since your asking you probobally have your heart set on it, and you always want to be the one to prove what has been said as a set "rule" is not always the case. I have a 150 only 4' long, and I was told no way to putting in to large angels. But I hate being told I cant, so I now have a blueface, and an emperor both adults been together for 2 mos no big issues, maybe a few quick disputes but nothing major. Just keep in mind add all at once, or put smaller in first. also making a LR mountain in the middle of the tank will help with territorial disputes, b/c they feel theyre in a bigger area when they can not see around the whole tank from one position, and the other angels will not always be in their direct view

mboswell1982

well, after talking to tara33, ive decided to scrap those guys for now, and instead, im gonna get anywhere from a trio to a quintet of Watanabei Angelfish, gonna get 3-5 females, one of them will become a male, they get 6" long full grown, and are friggin gorgeous, plus, according to tara an a website i found, they are one of the only angel's that schools, so you are safe keeping them together in groups of 3 or more, just, u can only have 1 male :D for anyone who wants to know lol, they're scientific name is Genicanthus watanabei.
here's the link, i hope i can post this link LOL
http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/fish.asp